Bryan
“Listen Betty, don’t start up with your white zone s**t again.”
Good Times :D!
1596695828302.png

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Airplane! and The Naked Gun were the pinnacle of these movies. But Leslie Nielsen started to think of himself as a comedian after that and "played funny" more and more as he continued to make comedies, rather than his dead serious approach that made these two films so much funnier.

So true. Compare the TV POLICE SQUAD! to the film version -- he plays it dead straight in the series. In the films they make him more self-aware, less funny.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Your 4K TV will do an upconvert on the 2K blu ray that will be as good as the online digital 4K version (that itself is just an upconvert).
i would only look towards the digital 4K version if it had an HDR/DV pass that was noteworthy.
Not true.

Edit: Never mind. I see your incorrect statement has been addressed.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Flying High?
It might surprise you to learn that movies sometimes get different titles for their overseas theatrical run. Of course, the real fun starts when films are given local language titles, which don't resemble the original at all. In Norway, we used to have extremely ridiculous Norwegian movie titles, which were so bad, they were even better than the original. Airplane! = Help, We're Flying! Obviously, this was a sure-fire recipe for success, because just about every US comedy in the '80's had "Help", in front of it. This Is Spinal Tap = Help, We're In The Pop Business! National Lampoon's Vacation = Help, We Have To Go On Holiday (no exclamation mark). "Help" was comedies, but "Operation" was used for thrillers: Die Hard = Operation Skyscraper. No one knew how to sell Steven Spielberg's 1941 anywhere and neither did they in Norway. 1941 = Excuse Me, Where Is Hollywood? And because Norwegians were really clueless in the old days: You Only Live Twice = James Bond In Japan. Yeah - that's sounds exciting, honey :rolleyes: Sadly, Norwegian film distributors realised in about 2014 that most of the population now can understand English, so they no longer release English-titled films with a Norwegian translation. That's a real shame. I wonder what they would have translated Tenet with? Operation End Of The World?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m aware of that happening. Never heard about Airplane being calling Flying high.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It might surprise you to learn that movies sometimes get different titles for their overseas theatrical run.

We had a short-lived TV series in the US called "Flying High" in the late 70s.

Kinda makes you wonder if ZAZ wanted to call the movie "Flying High" but couldn't due to that conflict/confusion...

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Airplane! and The Naked Gun were the pinnacle of these movies. But Leslie Nielsen started to think of himself as a comedian after that and "played funny" more and more as he continued to make comedies, rather than his dead serious approach that made these two films so much funnier.

Excellent observation. There are a few cases in which "playing funny" works, but comedy is best when it's played straight. That's why Airplane! works so well, and why so many spoofs don't.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
I remember a '70s British sitcom called From A Bird's-Eye View about a group of airline stewardesses that was shown on TV here. Does anyone else remember it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks