What's new

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
IMDB says it lasted 16 episodes and aired in 1970.

I was 3 in 1970 so nope - no memory of that one!
It aired in 1971 in the USA. I recall seeing promos with Millicent Martin but don't think I actually watched it. Pat Finley, who later played Bob Hartley's sister on The Bob Newhart Show and Dennis Becker's wife on The Rockford Files was also on it.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
"Flying High" is still what I think of when someone mentions Connie Sellecca! :D
The CBS promos always seemed to have one or more of the stewardess/flight attendant* characters saying something like "I have a 12-hour layover there." Guess it was supposed to sound naughty (for 1978). Some critics complained about the promos.

*When did "flight attendant" replace stewardess as an acceptable career description?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This new Airplane Blu-ray has just arrived in the the UK as an HMV exclusive. I thought the film was hugely entertaining when it was first released but something has happened either to me or else the film's concept over the past 20 years has become too dated because I found it not only unfunny but tedious. Of course many of the jokes even 20 years ago fell flat but there were enough of them that worked, to make the film a laughter riot. Unfortunately hardly any of them work for me now. Maybe my tastes have changed because so many of the gags just seem childish and silly now. Maybe what was original then has become stale through overuse. Whatever the reason, I found watching it again a major disappointment.

Incidentally, before Elmer Bernstein signed to compose the score, Miklos Rozsa was asked if he would do it. Rozsa turned the offer down after reading the script, which he said he didn't care for - based on the script he didn't even realise it was a comedy!

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Q: If the "Paramount Presents" line is supposedly aimed at film enthusiasts & collectors, with all titles boasting new 4k scans, why isn't Paramount releasing them in UHD (w/ reg. Blus included for those of us who've yet to upgrade)??

As for AIRPLANE itself, how about we (who aren't put off by or unmoved by it) just sorta agree it's a "guilty pleasure" --- emphasis on both words, with an edge to the latter --- and call it CAVU (for want of better aviation term)...

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Q: If the "Paramount Presents" line is supposedly aimed at film enthusiasts & collectors, with all titles boasting new 4k scans, why isn't Paramount releasing them in UHD (w/ reg. Blus included for those of us who've yet to upgrade)??

As for AIRPLANE itself, how about we (who aren't put off by or unmoved by it) just sorta agree it's a "guilty pleasure" --- emphasis on both words, with an edge to the latter --- and call it CAVU (for want of better aviation term)...

I want to know the answer to your question too. I asked it before.

Needless to say I picked up airplane in 4k digital.

Shirley, I am serious.

Mark VH

Second Unit

Why should we feel guilty about it? It’s the funniest movie ever made IMO. No apologies necessary.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on Airplane! 3?

Maybe a prequel to set up Airplane! 1?

Attachments

• E1D24895-C349-4AD0-AE05-4BDCD75DEF13.jpeg
    E1D24895-C349-4AD0-AE05-4BDCD75DEF13.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 31

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Why should we feel guilty about it? It’s the funniest movie ever made IMO. No apologies necessary.
While I personally agree, there are apparently some here/on HTF -- incl. some who in the past have spoken more warmly of this & similar films -- who've come to find the film a bit too "unenlightened" (my word) for today's world.. If yu ask me, sure, the world (clearly) has issues, and various prejudices & unfortunate perceptions some have abt others of certain races/ethnicty/creeds/tax brackets etc. stubbornly persist (not helped by those who live up to such perceptions, but thats for another forum) -- but I also think people, generally--spkng, could stand to lighten up a bit...
BTW this film is no more 'unenlightened' than the everyday "Family Guy" or "South Park" marathon..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks