What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... Enemy of the State (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"How do you draw the line between protection of national security, and the government's need to obtain data, and the protection of civil liberties and the sanctity of my home."

I can't recall ever viewing a film that more aptly mirrors current events, while placing the concepts of the subject matter under a microscope.

In the past I've noted that the Disney organization insisted on not sharing copyright information with the public, while stating that every film was of current release.

This has finally changed for the better. While Enemy of the State is a 1998 production, at least the packaging now states "2006 DVD Release."

Were it otherwise, and were it not specified as a "DVD" Release, it would be quite probable that the executive offices at Disney would already be bugged -- and quite properly, as the government must protect itself at all costs against its citizens.

For the past eight years Tony Scott's Enemy of the State has benignly existed as mere entertainment. It has now become a "message" film in which our government is so corrupted by those who control it, that it has become the enemy of the people.

Enemy of the State is a terrific political thriller and thought-provoking piece of entertainment. It comes to us with a new transfer with a few occasional bits of positive dirt that comes highly recommended, especially for anyone who was ever concerned that their phone might be bugged by our government. With a fine performance by Mr. Smith and another classic character brought to the screen by Mr. Hackman.

For those who have not yet seen The Conversation (1974), it should be considered as required viewing preceeding this film.

Wave to Big Brother.

RAH

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Keep talking like that and the NSA goons might be knocking on your door. :)
It is interesting how an 8 year old action film can suddenly be more topical and meaningful than when it was originally released.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ive always felt this was a secret sequal to the conversation.

look forward to seeing them again.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I also am looking forward to this re-release. Indeed it has become very topical. Funny how it happens that Life imitates Art!

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
A favorite line of mine to quote is from this movie:

"Fuck a duck!" :)

I agree about the movie being more topical now than when it was released.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Speculate. I'll give you a topic: Is it possible this SD release is so tardy because Di$ney has it up its sleeve for imminent BD release? Discuss.

"Negative! Hammersley was professionally wasted by an anal retentive with what looks like a serious Vitamin B deficiency." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks