What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Star Wars: The Force Awakens -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've just completed viewing the new Blu-ray of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, from Disney.

To my mind, it's the greatest re-tread of the finest "B" picture ever created.

And that is not a negative.

It's a very good thing.

Everything that the original viewers loved about the first films is all there, only bigger, badder, and louder than ever.

Completed as a 2k DI, one might presume that the resultant Blu-ray would be perfect.

And it is. Beyond all expectation.

Great fun, based upon films that were great fun.

No more need be said.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The prequels just don't get a break!

Looking forward to seeing the disc when I get it later this week.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Kodak film and the lenses chosen. No matter how far digital has come, film still seems "more real" to my eyes and more engaging.

I completely agree. Well mastered Blus from analog films just have a certain look I don't see even on very good quality digitally filmed movies.

I plan on watching The Force Awakens one night this week.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
None of which explains why the first three, shot-on-film movies look like crap on blu-ray - over-sharpened, over-saturated, over-scrubbed, crushed blacks etc.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Return of the Jedi will always look like crap because of J-D-C Scope.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
None of which explains why the first three, shot-on-film movies look like crap on blu-ray - over-sharpened, over-saturated, over-scrubbed, crushed blacks etc.

It probably does not help that they're all based on older masters. When they were working on the releases for the 2004 DVDs, Lucasfilm gave Lowry HD scans of the 1997 special edition versions of the movie for cleanup. When that work was completed, Lucasfilm made additional changes to the movies in HD resolution on top of the Lowry cleanup. For the 2011 Blu-rays, they again took those HD masters from circa 2004 and did additional changes on top of the existing work. The masters that the Blu-rays were based on were never intended for that purpose.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It probably does not help that they're all based on older masters. When they were working on the releases for the 2004 DVDs, Lucasfilm gave Lowry HD scans of the 1997 special edition versions of the movie for cleanup. When that work was completed, Lucasfilm made additional changes to the movies in HD resolution on top of the Lowry cleanup. For the 2011 Blu-rays, they again took those HD masters from circa 2004 and did additional changes on top of the existing work. The masters that the Blu-rays were based on were never intended for that purpose.

Enter new transfers in 2017 when Disney assumes control of all but a new hope from fox. I'm guessing theatrically versions as well.

Stay tuned...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
New transfers would only make a huge improvement on IV and V. Again Jedi was shot in a subpar format to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_graham861
Recent bookmarks