What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Warner Bros. Home Video & The WB Archive Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Fantastic. I'll be looking forward to especially the technicolor, Bette Davis, Greta Garbo and Bogart movies. Hopefully some love for Judy Garland as well, and also hoping that some of these will be in box sets!

It's very exiting news but I'll be more exited when actual release dates are announced.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Robert Harris said:
Several weeks ago, I had a meal with friends from WB, and while I cannot report titles, I can report that things are alive and well at both Warner Home Video, as well as the Warner Archive Collection.

2015 portends to be their biggest year since the start of the format.

Are these movies coming solely from Archive, or are they also coming from WHV?

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Good news, just received The Wind and The Lion today in the mail, I have been waiting for this to come out on BR.

SS NORMANDIE

Agent
Real Name
Patrick
Mr. Harris's mention of Minnelli and Sinatra makes me wonder if "Some Came Running" will make its debut on Blu Ray next year.

In addition to Garbo and Davis, Blu Ray releases of Elizabeth Taylor's, Judy Garland's, and Joan Crawford's WB & MGM classics would be fantastic. "Mildred Pierce" will be celebrating its 70th Anniversary in 2015 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

P.S. Also hoping that "Wuthering Heights"-1939 will finally be released on Blu Ray later this year or next.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
At last. Astaire (and Ginger too of course) and Flynn.
I daresay the Astaire will be the complete Fred and Ginger set .. and the Flynn would have to include the classic double of The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood. And throw in The Band Wagon for good measure, and Bogart in The Sleep and To Have and Have Not as well, and 2015 will be our year!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Another vote for "Kiss Me Kate" in 3D.

I was under the impression that they had a lot of trouble just restoring the RKO Astaire/Roger's films to DVD standard.
That would make it difficult for Blu-ray. But hey, let's hope I'm wrong.

They promised more Vitaphone and MGM shorts this year, let's hope that eventuates.

Doug.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Doug Bull said:
They promised more Vitaphone and MGM shorts this year, let's hope that eventuates.

More Vitaphone and MGM shorts? I assume you meant on DVD?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Great news - thanks. If Warner Archive would only include English Subtitles with all their releases they would be perfect. I appreciate that Criterion and TT include them. Olive does not which (along with their end product being a lesser quality than TT et al)is why they're not represented in my library.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
SS NORMANDIE said:
Mr. Harris's mention of Minnelli and Sinatra makes me wonder if "Some Came Running" will make its debut on Blu Ray next year.
And a perfect segway into my mini-Warner list:

Anchor's Aweigh (1945): Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly in the same flick. And a patriotic one to boot. Goes well with the already-blu-released Hit the Deck.

Summer of 42 (1971): Oh how could the folks at either Warner division overlook this gem of a movie which was a big hit in 1971.

The Goodbye Girl (1977): Another hit gem from the 70s that still hasn't had a Blu release. C'mon Warner, get this one to Blu.

Summer Rental (1985): A nifty John Candy comedy classic that has yet to see the light of Blu.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
summerof42.jpg

AnchorsAweigh_DVD.jpg

Goodbye_Girl_movie_poster.jpg

Richard M S

Screenwriter
lukejosephchung said:
Next year will be Mr. Sinatra's Centennial Birthday...I'll be VERY surprised if Warner Home Video doesn't release a sizable chunk of his film catalog in a box set on blu-ray next year...
On the Sinatra Family Forum, in January 2014, someone asked whether anything was planned for Frank's 100th Birthday in 2015, and Nancy Sinatra swiftly replied "Patience is a Virtue.", lol.

Therefore I agree I would be very surprised if Warner Home Video did not have a major blu-ray release of at least some of Frank Sinatra's films - especially SOME CAME RUNNING which is one of my all-time favorites. A rare 35mm print of the film will be shown at the Museum of The Moving Image in Queens in August; I really hope to see it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks