What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Time Machine -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I did my usual yearly viewing of The Time Machine last night as we get close to New Years Eve. This time I spent more time investing in the actors performances. I never noticed the somewhat subtle reactions Weena had to George’s questions. She really looked puzzled to some of the things he asked her. And I’ve been listening to the Russell Garcia original film score a lot recently, so i became much more familiar with it. So it was cool to hear the same score recording in the actual movie. There were several instances where the score volume level was so low, it’s not as clear but I knew the piece so I could hear it.

I own this movie on the laserdisc, the DVD and the blu ray and it was such an eye opener to see the DVD as you can really see the painted backdrop in the Morlock cave. And colors on the DVD are pretty vibrant, the color of the glass lamps in George’s House were the main things I noticed. So the blu ray didn’t add that much in those regards, though color is a tad more vibrant. But What I do notice more at first is the film grain, if that is what I’m seeing, it was especially noticeable on George’s white shirt collars at the start of the film as he saw his friends leave after demonstrating the time machine model. I stopped looking for that after this as I was into the movie! :)

It was funny to see the name on the time machine control panel by the way, H George Wells.

This is a childhood favorite of mine and still works for me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Delightful movie, and one of my favorite Saturday Matinee movies. When I first saw this at the Bedford (NY) Playhouse, I was mesmerized, and attended every subsequent showing of the film. Rod Taylor became an instant hero for me, and I developed a crush on Yvette Mimeux that lasted many years. Even today, I can find very few flaws in the film (and would give all of them a pass anyway). The actors, their acting, the effects, the score...all in. Love this film, which I consider to be Pal's quintessential.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This is a long time favorite of mine that I saw in the theatre when it came out. I am not so afraid of the sight of the Morlock rotting away as the time machine sped into the future now!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This is a long time favorite of mine that I saw in the theatre when it came out. I am not so afraid of the sight of the Morlock rotting away as the time machine sped into the future now!
But it certainly freaked me out as a kid when I saw it in the theater as a 10 year old!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember that I saw the beginning of this movie about a million times in middle school, but I don't think I saw the end until the BD came out.

In my middle school, at lunchtime, if it was raining, instead of going outside for recess, they'd send us to the room where the band class practiced after eating and we'd watch about 20 minutes of one of the school's three VHS tapes until the period ended. Then, on the next rainy day, they'd rewind and restart. So I've seen the opening a bunch. About up until the point where he take every out the machine for the first time and starts seeing his neighborhood change.

(If anyone's wondering, the other two VHS tapes the school had were Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Amadeus. For some reason we'd watch those in chunks, picking up where we left off, but my memory of Time Machine is constantly restarting it.)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Saw last year Dark Of The Sun (1968) which had both Rod Taylor & Yvette Mimeux acting together again in a very good film.

I predicted last year that DARK OF THE SUN would come out on Blu from Warner Archives in 2017. I think that, out of 25 titles I predicted, only one was actually released. I am so damned intuitive!

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel

For many years, that rotting Morlock sequence was deleted from all tv showings in the 70s and into the 80s!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Rod Taylor was a method actor. His "shtick" consisted of things like rolling his eyes up and closing them, while smiling, when he was emotional about something. But aside from such obvious physical "tells," he was a fantastic actor, and a very underrated one at that.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Time Machine is one of those that was shown quite often on the Channel 7 3:30 movie in L.A. when I was a kid. Whenever it was on I would run home from school as fast as I could to see it from the beginning.. To have it on blu-ray now with the ability to project it at 100" astonishes and delights me.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm watching this one again tonight. I was entranced when I first saw George Pal's The Time Machine in third grade at about the age of 8, which was in 1973. My best friend and I after that played a make-believe game where we had a time machine....I read the book by H.G. Wells right after that, which started me into reading science fiction for about 30 years. Compared to what I saw on my friend's color tv this looks great. I'd give the image quality a B+ and the audio an A-. Considering the low the budget for this film the practical special effects look good. But it's interesting to think what might have been done with the full resources of Walt Disney in 1960.

time_machine_1960_linen_six_sheet_original_film_art_2000x.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm watching this one again tonight. I was entranced when I first saw George Pal's The Time Machine in third grade at about the age of 8, which was in 1973. My best friend and I after that played a make-believe game where we had a time machine....I read the book by H.G. Wells right after that, which started me into reading science fiction for about 30 years. Compared to what I saw on my friend's color tv this looks great. I'd give the image quality a B+ and the audio an A-. Considering how low the budget on this film the practical special effects look good. But it's interesting to think what might have been done with the full resources of Walt Disney in 1960.

View attachment 72089
Yes, but would have gotten a good look at Yvette’s legs in a Disney proction. Let’s keep our priorities straight. ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I mean to write “Yes, but would you have gotten a good look at Yvette’s legs in a Disney production?”
In 1960? Not at all. Several things would have been either toned down or missing had this been a Disney production.

I have several live action action/adventure/fantasy films that are from pre-1960 Disney which are absolute favorites. They're all "safer" than they'd have been had they come from other production companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexj-12
Recent bookmarks