What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Rec Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scream Factory's new four film set of the Rec series is a major release, long in coming, since it was released back in 2008 or thereabouts as a DVD.

For full disclosure, I had never heard of this series, until I mentioned it to my son, who informed me that it was major, and he requested that after reviewing, I pass it along. He wanted it.

And after viewing the first film in the series, I now understand why.

While not a genre that falls neatly into my continuous purview, this one works, and I'm pleased that I took the time to view it.

The film is not precisely in the "found footage" arena, as it isn't.

Directed by Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza, it follows a young broadcast journalist, doing an obviously boring fluff piece for a local Spanish TV channel - the series is Spanish produced, with crisp clear, English sub-titles - that goes totally wrong.

The "gimmick" here, for lack of a better term, is that the journalist's TV cameraman is recording the goings-on, with the actual DP, Pablo Rosso, acting as the TV cameraman. An interesting concept.

The series parented an American film, which apparently did not live up to the original.

There is however, a problem with the boxed set. It is not inexpensive at $60, and I have a feeling that with the disparate quality of the first with the following three, that some collectors will desire to own Rec 1, and not the others. If possible I'd love to see Scream release the first film in the series, as a separate entity.

The first film, which was shot digitally and finished as a 2k DI, has a superb presentation.

A film that I somehow overlooked, I suggest that others do not make the same error.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HA MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Highly Recommended to horror fans

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And I am, at this very historic moment, learning about this for the first time. Hadn't even remotely heard of it.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I saw Quarantine, the American version, not knowing it was a remake. I liked it a lot and saw the original shortly after. From what I remember the American version made surprisingly few deviations. Not a shot-by-shot remake, but not too far from one. The last 10 minutes had the biggest changes. I think I was aware that Rec had some sequels, so maybe I'll get this set and check it out.

There was a Quarantine 2, a sequel to the American remake. It was really bad DTV crap.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
The first film is excellent. Intense and unrelenting. The opening really takes its time to set things up, but it makes you wonder what’s happening and gets the viewer to really identify with the main characters. Then it becomes a real rollercoaster that doesn’t let up til the end credits. It is one of two, maybe three, horror films of the 21st century to get under my skin and spook me (and horror is the main genre I watch).

Pt. 2 was alright, 3 was awful, and 4 almost redeemed the series but ultimately fell flat for me. They could’ve left it as a single film and would’ve been better off. I’d like to get the first film, but I don’t have any interest in the others — so I do hope they break the films up into singular releases.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The first film is excellent. Intense and unrelenting. The opening really takes its time to set things up, but it makes you wonder what’s happening and gets the viewer to really identify with the main characters. Then it becomes a real rollercoaster that doesn’t let up til the end credits. It is one of two, maybe three, horror films of the 21st century to get under my skin and spook me (and horror is the main genre I watch).

Pt. 2 was alright, 3 was awful, and 4 almost redeemed the series but ultimately fell flat for me. They could’ve left it as a single film and would’ve been better off. I’d like to get the first film, but I don’t have any interest in the others — so I do hope they break the films up into singular releases.

Each is packaged separately, so it’s just another skew. My hat remains off to Shout / Scream for making this available.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I discovered the original film on a crappy bootleg not too long before the American remake came out. Loved it. It really did a fantastic job of building tension and delivering an authentic sense of dread. I also love that it didn't feel the need to spoonfeed the audience an over-explained backstory. There was just enough to draw you in and put you on edge. The ending was really something. I have never seen any of the sequels, mostly because I understand that they get heavily bogged down in backstory and, especially with Horror films, I find them far more effective when explanations are largely left up to your imagination. It acts on a more primal level that would be lessened by the intrusion of logic.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
Happy to say this is on its way from Amazon. I had just watched 1 on a streaming service and was 1/2 way through the 2nd one before I got called away. Both were gone from the service when I went back to finish a day later.
My love of 1 and what I had seen of 2 is worth the cost of the set which Is just under the cost of 2 separate blus alone. 3 & 4 could just be considered bonuses.
I had heard Quarantine 2 is quite good as well. Keeping an eye out for it. Quarantine is not as bad as everyone says, but it does fall quite short of the original [rec].

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks