What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Extended Edition -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Mark Booth
As an experiment, I loaded the ROTK flashback image into Photoshop and applied the Hue/Saturation tool to the image. When I slid the Master Hue slider to about -30 in Photoshop, the color of Merry's vest had changed to about the same shade of orange seen in the FOTR image. And, quite interestingly, the color of Merry & Pippin's cloaks shifted from grey to green. (Surprise, surprise!)
Mark
So someone surely tempered with that image!
Photoshop you said?

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Zack Gibbs said:
Ignorance is bliss, as they say.
Huh???

You mean that someone who is in the possession of a copy of the real BD EE release, watches it carefully, judging the image he sees, and finally comes to a well-thought fully informed conclusion, could be called ignorant in this matter just because he's not aware of each and every ill-defined screencap posted on the 'net, which may have been interesting to some before street-day when we all can see the product itself if we want, but is just second-hand information now?

Cees

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Cees Alons said:

Huh??? You mean that someone who is in the possession of a copy of the real BD EE release, watches it carefully, judging the image he sees, and finally comes to a well-thought fully informed conclusion, could be called ignorant in this matter just because he's not aware of each and every ill-defined screencap posted on the 'net, which may have been interesting to some before street-day when we all can see the product itself if we want, but is just second-hand information now?  Cees  
If you watched the movie and enjoyed it, that doesn't suddenly make you enlightened. Many of these people aren't going to recognize the problems when they see them, that falls well within the realm of ignorance. Those that do recognize problems and don't mind are simply apathetic, which I would say is much worse.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
If you watched the movie and enjoyed it, that doesn't suddenly make you enlightened. Many of these people aren't going to recognize the problems when they see them, that falls well within the realm of ignorance. Those that do recognize problems and don't mind are simply apathetic, which I would say is much worse.
You assume that there IS a problem.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Those who haven't seen the discs are ignorant in this matter to a great and essential extent.

(I sense that is a bliss to some indeed.)

Cees

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
dpippel said:
Quote:
You assume that there IS a problem. 
Even if you accept the color timing as intentional (which isn't farfetched or anything, we've seen this all before), you'd be a fool to think the gama issues and clipped highlights were done purposefully. There can be a question as to how much of a problem there is, but there are problems.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Even if you accept the color timing as intentional (which isn't farfetched or anything, we've seen this all before), you'd be a fool to think the gama issues and clipped highlights were done purposefully.
There can be a question as to how much of a problem there is, but there are problems.

A fool? Really? Wow.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If you watched the movie and enjoyed it, that doesn't suddenly make you enlightened.
Not necessarily, no. If you watched a few screencaps and didn't like it, that doesn't suddenly make you very enlightened either.

Cees

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Cees Alons said:

Not necessarily, no. If you watched some screencaps and didn't like it, that doesn't suddenly make you very enlightened either.  Cees 
No it doesn't Cees, but I'm not trying to argue that it does.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always like how strangers judge others, they don't know, as if they do know them.

Crawdaddy

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mark Booth said:
A split-screen image of Merry. Left side of the image is from ROTK EE (flashback scene). Right side of the image is from FOTR EE. Both halves are from the just-released Blu-ray set. Ignoring the fact that the color of Merry's cloak has shifted from grey to green (and gotten much darker), look at Merry's vest!! It has magically changed from yellow to orange.
green.jpg

A publicity still photo of Merry:
tumblr_lk2pfsgv3W1qgutswo1_500.jpg

Mark
I happen to like the color Orange.
I never felt that yellow suited Merry - made him look too cowardly. And we all know Merry isn't a coward.
Once again, a color change for the better.
David

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
I always like how strangers judge others, they don't  know, as if they do know them.      Crawdaddy

I'm judging the posts I'm reading in this thread, and nothing more. Like most threads on HTF, it's filled with people without half-a-clue. And... that's okay. Because like most threads on HTF, we're actually talking about a myriade of densely technical matters, that even the more informed members often only have a passing knowledge of. If I'm a little more rude about here than I normally would be, it might be because the few members who have been willing to speak out about these very real issues are consistently told to 'sit down and shut up," and that's not acceptable. I suspect one day we'll get a proper release for FOTR, and suddenly all those people who are happy with the current release will suddenly decide that "hey, this does look better!" When that happens, it will have been in spite of the attitudes in this thread, not because of it. That's a shame.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm judging the posts I'm reading in this thread, and nothing more. Like most threads on HTF, it's filled with people without half-a-clue.
And... that's okay. Because like most threads on HTF, we're actually talking about a myriade of densely technical matters, that even the more informed members often only have a passing knowledge of.
If I'm a little more rude about here than I normally would be, it might be because the few members who have been willing to speak out about these very real issues are consistently told to 'sit down and shut up," and that's not acceptable.
I suspect one day we'll get a proper release for FOTR, and suddenly all those people who are happy with the current release will suddenly decide that "hey, this does look better!" When that happens, it will have been in spite of the attitudes in this thread, not because of it. That's a shame.
Yes, you are being rude.
What's really a shame is you think you're right and anybody oppose to your viewpoint or don't share your passion for this issue is wrong.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm judging the posts I'm reading in this thread, and nothing more. Like most threads on HTF, it's filled with people without half-a-clue.
And... that's okay. Because like most threads on HTF, we're actually talking about a myriade of densely technical matters, that even the more informed members often only have a passing knowledge of.
If I'm a little more rude about here than I normally would be, it might be because the few members who have been willing to speak out about these very real issues are consistently told to 'sit down and shut up," and that's not acceptable.
I suspect one day we'll get a proper release for FOTR, and suddenly all those people who are happy with the current release will suddenly decide that "hey, this does look better!" When that happens, it will have been in spite of the attitudes in this thread, not because of it. That's a shame.
Your sanctimonious tone certainly is rude IMO, and as far as I can tell no one has been told to sit down and shut up. The holier-than-thou "if you can't see the problems then you're stupid" attitude is just as distasteful as what you're alleging. And really, if as you suggest most threads at HTF are "filled with people without half-a-clue", why does your lordship even bother posting amongst us rabble?

Man, lighten up would ya?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
I happen to like the color Orange.
I never felt that yellow suited Merry - made him look too cowardly. And we all know Merry isn't a coward.
Once again, a color change for the better.
David
headbangsoncomputer_t_01.gif

But you get
th_1sm084thumbsup.gif
for making me laugh! :)
Mark

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Those who disagreed with them were also "willing to speak out about these very real issues". I'm sorry, but your language is biased to begin with. I leave it to you to decide if that's acceptable.

Cees

Real Name
Santiago Matamoros
The set arrived; I've had a chance to watch some of FotR.
There's a tint, but the film looks good.
My only objection to FotR EE BD so far? Making access to the obnoxious Jack Black skit so easy. Not kid-friendly.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Amillennialist
The set arrived; I've had a chance to watch some of FotR.
There's a tint, but the film looks good.
My only objection to FotR EE BD so far? Making access to the obnoxious Jack Black skit so easy. Not kid-friendly.
None of the easter eggs on the EEs were particularly "Kid Friendly". You think JB's "Prince Albert" is bad, try watching the Gollum Movie Award acceptance speech on Two Towers.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Jesus Murphy !
I'm gone for 24 hours and this soft summer wind has turned into a Class 5.
Couldn't someone ask Robert Harris to give Andrew Lesnie a ring and come here for a
measly 5 minutes so he can settle this infernal quarrel once and for all ?
Actually,i'm thinking of emailing him myself before Harry Knowles gets a hold of him first.
From what i've seen so far from the 36 hours of extras,he sure comes off like the nicest fella around.
And he was DP on Babe (which looks AMAZING on BD ) so what's there not to like ?
Or,maybe,the fellas having the dispute should should really find a common classic film to watch together.I find that
Wings of desire works well in this case.Or Major league.:D
Although i'm the new guy with only 100 posts,i decided to join this particular forum because i've been
reading many hundreds of threads and what not for quite some time now.
And i did find that the amount of expertise,knowledge and love for movies is quite unequaled.In my view at least.
As it has been said before,please simply agree to disagree cause it looks like for the time being,this
particular green tint issue will remain.....unresolved.
And now i'm starting to hear the talking light from Blade runner "move on...move on...move on...
Someone start a fascinating thread right now.
Sorry 'bout the newbie rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks