What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last Detail -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hal Ashby's wonderful The Last Detail is a film that just works. While many will point to the performances by Jack Nicholson, Otis Young and Randy Quaid, with a delightful turn by Carol Kane, I'd probably point more toward the screenplay by Robert Towne, without whom...

The gritty cinematography comes courtesy of Michael Chapman. The film is his first Director of Photography credit.

Keep in mind that Mr. Chapman was camera operator for Gordon Willis on The Godfather, and that noted, we'll quell discussions of improper handling of the elements by Columbia, as I'm certain some will point to the lack of shadow detail in the blacks, and cry "foul!"

Gritty describes the look, and the negative is thin. There's nothing in the shadows. The look works for the film, and when viewed as a Blu-ray, especially up-rezzed to 4k, the images are bold and assertive.

As a master prepared by Columbia, there's no story here, with the boring exception of perfection.

A wonderfully clean image, with great color and original grain structure.

For those who may not be aware, director Ashby began in the film arena in the editorial department (The Loved One, Russians are Coming, In the Heat of the Night), directing his first film in 1970 (The Landlord). He's best known for Coming Home, Being There, Harold and Maude, and coincidentally, another film being released this month by Twilight Time, Bound for Glory, which unfortunately, does not come from Columbia.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I watched this a couple of days ago. This has long been a favorite of mine and I feel one of Nicholson's greatest performances. The writing is spot on. Really, I think this is a perfect film. It always was "gritty" in terms of how it looked and so I always wondered how people would feel about it once it got the HD treatment. Honestly, it looks like film and very much of it's time and really that's a great thing. I love how this blu-ray looks and I think it is one of the finest (I'm biased) Twilight releases so far.

Thanks so much for providing your review of it, Mr. Harris, I think this one is a must own.

Nicholson has said that this film was the one where he knew he really nailed it and boy did he. From 1970 to 1975 he gave a series of performances that defined him as an actor and were stunning to watch. To me this film feels long overlooked and that is a shame. Hal Ashby always got tremendous performances out of the actors in his films and everybody does fantastic work in this picture.

It's great to see anything from Ashby appear on blu-ray and I hope there is more from his catalog on the way.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Robert Harris said:
...we'll quell discussions of improper handling of the elements by Columbia, as I'm certain some will point to the lack of shadow detail in the blacks, and cry "foul!"

Gritty describes the look, and the negative is thin.
A wise and accurate description to put forth in your review, for those unfamiliar with "The Last Detail".

I, too, remember this aspect of the films look and - yah - it just simply works.

A long overdue selection for the BD market with seamlessly brilliant contributions; not knowing when its just Jack at work or when its Ashby, Towne or even Chapman.

Great stuff - Great fun.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much, everything that Reggie said in post #2. One of my favorite Nicholson performances from the early days. Great film by the late Hal Ashby.

- Walter.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Robert Harris said:
For those who may not be aware, director Ashby began in the film arena in the editorial department (The Loved One, Russians are Coming, In the Heat of the Night), directing his first film in 1970 (The Landlord). He's best known for Coming Home, Being There, Harold and Maude, and coincidentally, another film being released this month by Twilight Time, Bound for Glory, which unfortunately, does not come from Columbia.
And I would add to that Hal Ashby list one of my all-time top ten favourite movies, "Shampoo", which does come from Columbia. Please, somebody, a Blu-Ray, properly transferred, with extras!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
davidmatychuk said:
And I would add to that Hal Ashby list..."Shampoo", which does come from Columbia. Please, somebody, a Blu-Ray, properly transferred, with extras!
Nice catch!

And ditto to that.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
The film was based on a book written by the same guy who wrote "Cinderella Liberty". These films would make a great double bill.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
davidmatychuk said:
And I would add to that Hal Ashby list one of my all-time top ten favourite movies, "Shampoo", which does come from Columbia. Please, somebody, a Blu-Ray, properly transferred, with extras!
So, the good news on Shampoo is it was already restored and given the 4K massage by Grover Crisp and his crew. So, now it's all just a matter of who is releasing it on blu-ray...guessing either Twilight Time or Criterion.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Reggie W said:
So, the good news on Shampoo is it was already restored and given the 4K massage by Grover Crisp and his crew. So, now it's all just a matter of who is releasing it on blu-ray...guessing either Twilight Time or Criterion.
I hope that the new Home Theatre Forum measures degrees of "Like This", as in if you pound the key ferociously twenty times.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I hate to mention it, but go to a movie theater sometime and watch a classic film, especially from the 1970s, and tell me all about the blacks. Blacks is a think from home video, not from the actual experience of watching a movie in a movie theater. No one sat there and said, "Wow, look at those blacks, look at that shadow detail." I watched the new Star Wars at the DGA, which has the best projection in town - blacks? It is to laugh.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
haineshisway said:
I watched the new Star Wars at the DGA, which has the best projection in town - blacks? It is to laugh.

You should have seen the 35mm print at the Vista. After seeing it twice digitally (once in Dolby Vision) the print was a revelation.

Okay, back to The Last Detail, which I'm looking forward to seeing again for the first time in 20 years.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In terms of an actors career, "The Last Detail" was part of the great trajectory concerning the rise of Jack.

It was his third Oscar nomination.

First it was "Easy Rider"; followed by "Five Easy Pieces", "The Last Detail", "Chinatown" and "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

On the night of Jack's first Oscar win for "Cuckoo's Nest", he was up against Walter Matthau for "The Sunshine Boys".

When the winner was announced and the applause began, Matthau leaned over to his wife and was overheard to say, "It's about time".

Such great news that "The Last Detail" is finally available. And great that it received a 5/5; even with an Up-rez.

Can't wait to scoop this one up.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
So thrilled to finally have this out on BD. One of the real overlooked gems from the period of Nicholson's ascendency to Hollywood legend. Five Easy Pieces is his greatest performance, in my view, but The Last Detail is high on that list.

Now if only Warner Brothers will remaster Cuckoo's Nest.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I had no idea this was out on blu ray. I've always wanted to see it. I read something about it being a limited release? That would explain the price. I saw $44! I guess I'll wait a bit & bite the bullet.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Amazon has it for $44. You're right though. I can find it for $29 on the official website.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I finally got to view TT's release of "The Last Detail";
a much coveted and awaited BD, to say the least.
It's perfect. And what a treat.
This offering from TT looks and sounds spot-on to the stock and style it was filmed in.
Great work TT; and Thanks.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks