What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Spartacus (Take 2) -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Last weekend one of the local theaters showed the DCP of the new Spartacus. What a treat! This was my first time watching the film and go see to on the big screen was a great introduction. I have the new BD also but purposely didn't watch it until I had a chance to see this viewing.

Thanks to RAH and Universal for making this happen.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I too couldn't be more grateful for the Spartacus that we can now see, thanks to the extensive efforts of RAH, and others, who work to safeguard our film legacy.

But I would also enjoy a different sort of gratitude if it appeared that any substantial portion of Americans, outside of the small groups of people on sites like HTF, even seemed to be aware of the important achievement represented by meticulous restorations, like the one accomplished for Spartacus.

In a post a couple weeks ago, I mentioned my having revisited the BJ's Wholesale Club in Akron, Ohio, on November 8th, where I'd previously purchased the Spartacus Restoration BD on its release date of Oct 6th. All 4 of the copies of the BD that had remained after I bought mine were still there in plain sight. Well, several days ago, on Nov 19th, we were at BJ's again, and all 4 of those Spartacus BDs were still sitting there, being offered at the extremely reasonable price of $12.99. It sure seems pathetic to me that my one purchase of that BD represents 100% of the sales volume that the Spartacus Restoration managed to generate in almost a month and a half.

Oh well, maybe most of the die hard film fans stay home and watch films, while their spouses make the trips to places like BJ's to pick up the stuff they need. I basically only accompany my wife to that store because the cases of water that we buy are a little too heavy for her to be lifting. And besides, that store, with its limited movie selection, was really the last place I would have ever expected to run into the restoration of Mr Kubrick's film, anyway.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Mike Boone said:
In a post a couple weeks ago, I mentioned my having revisited the BJ's Wholesale Club in Akron, Ohio, on November 8th, where I'd previously purchased the Spartacus Restoration BD on its release date of Oct 6th. All 4 of the copies of the BD that had remained after I bought mine were still there in plain sight. Well, several days ago, on Nov 19th, we were at BJ's again, and all 4 of those Spartacus BDs were still sitting there, being offered at the extremely reasonable price of $12.99. It sure seems pathetic to me that my one purchase of that BD represents 100% of the sales volume that the Spartacus Restoration managed to generate in almost a month and a half.

Surely it's quite possible that after several days the 4 copies you left behind had sold with the shelves being replenished. They might not have been the same 4 copies

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
turtledove said:
Surely it's quite possible that after several days the 4 copies you left behind had sold with the shelves being replenished. They might not have been the same 4 copies

Honestly, that precise thought had also occupied some space, for a short time, somewhere under the scalp of my noggin.

But when the manager at our local Barnes & Noble confirmed to me that his store had only ordered one copy of the My Fair Lady 50th Anniversary BD, which I bought, ever since he told me that, I've really doubted that our BJ's actually ended up ordering any more copies of Spartacus than the 5 that the store had on day one. Also, I should have noted how very little interest customers at BJ's seem to have in the store's Blu-ray section. We average 2 trips to BJ's each month, and each time I spend about 10 minutes in the movie section reading the back covers of BDs, while my wife shops. And yet in the dozens of times I've been to BJ's, I realize now that during the vast majority of my stops in the movie department I've been the only customer checking out the BDs. So with customer interest even being so low in recent movies on Blu-ray, I can actually well understand how BJ's kinds of customers could have close to zero interest in a 1960 movie. Especially, when that 55 year old film has had previous VHS, DVD, and BD releases, and someone has to almost be a student of classic films to even have an awareness that there's anything particularly special about this newest release.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Sadly, I think Mike may be correct in his assumption. The general public seem less and less interested in purchasing classic catalog titles, even when meticulously restored. This is why most stores that sell physical media will stock a dozen copies of Tremors 5 before they even consider stocking a single copy of the restored Spartacus or My Fair Lady.

I still have yet to encounter the restored 1916 Sherlock Holmes in any brick-and-mortar stores. I thought B&N might have it, but alas, they did not.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Oblivion138 said:
Sadly, I think Mike may be correct in his assumption. The general public seem less and less interested in purchasing classic catalog titles, even when meticulously restored. This is why most stores that sell physical media will stock a dozen copies of Tremors 5 before they even consider stocking a single copy of the restored Spartacus or My Fair Lady.

I still have yet to encounter the restored 1916 Sherlock Holmes in any brick-and-mortar stores. I thought B&N might have it, but alas, they did not.

Well Oblivion138, maybe the management of those brick and mortar stores that you refer to, is making the dubious assumption that the appeal of the 1916 Sherlock Holmes would basically be limited to those who actually saw the film back in the silent era, when it was released.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Ah, yes, the old "Surely, no one under the age of 100 will want to see this" reasoning.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I spoke to a theater manager inquiring their reasoning for showing the restorations only on a single isolated day; such as a Saturday at 1:00 and a Tuesday at 2:00 p.m.

His reply..."These shows are scheduled for the older audience members who saw these films when they originally came out".

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
TRIVIA QUESTION:

Besides the restoration work achieved by Robert A. Harris, name the other individual whose work is also represented in both "Spartacus" and "My Fair Lady".

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For any HTF member who craves a commentary track on "Spartacus", I strongly recommend the purchasing of Criterion's earlier DVD edition.

Do not think of it as a double-dip. Look at it as being a completist.

Without reservation, I purchased the Criterion and recently had one of the most educationally satisfying evenings to date.

As a matter of fact, I viewed my purchase as a coup.

Yes, the commentary by RAH pertains to the earlier restoration; but it remains relevant on all matters concerning the journey taken to get to this years masterful BD.

In fact, there is nothing , whatsoever, within this commentary track that is obsolete on any front. It is all very much alive, contextual and one that you will most assuredly discover to be a superb companion piece to your existing library.

So, break open a good bottle of red and bask within its information, conversation and listen to it all unfettered and unrushed.

Participants include Kirk Douglas, Peter Ustinov, Howard Fast, Saul Bass, Producer Edward Lewis and, of course, Robert A. Harris.

Again, if you don't own the Criterion DVD edition of "Spartacus"...and crave more and more and more from this year's restoration, I would rate this audio commentary track as a gem, a no-brainer and a MUST.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
PMF said:
I spoke to a theater manager inquiring their reasoning for showing the restorations only on a single isolated day; such as a Saturday at 1:00 and a Tuesday at 2:00 p.m.

His reply..."These shows are scheduled for the older audience members who saw these films when they originally came out".

Philip, scheduling the showing of restored films for times like 1:00 and 2:00pm, seems to indicate that theater management thinks that "older audience members", like yours truly, may doze off during evening showings, unless we've been recently restored ourselves.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
PMF said:
HTF and RAH brings restorative powers to us all. :)

Yes, they do act as a balm that can soothe nerves frayed from dealing with the regular regimen of insane realities that so often seem to parade before us.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My mistake [although you are right].

Let me re-phrase the trivia question.

Outside of the restoration work done on "Spartacus" and "My Fair Lady", name the individual whose name is linked to both projects during its initial filming.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
21 hours later:

The answer to my trivia question is...

Murray Spivack.

Mr. Spivack's credits also extend to many HTF member's future restorations "wish-lists"; that being "Around the World in 80 Days" and/or "The Alamo".

Coincidences? I think not. Perhaps, maybe, even another full circle?

Here's to the next and unknown 4K restoration, RAH, RAH, RAH !!! :cheers:

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Does anyone know when the digital copy code expires? It says to go to nbcucodes.com for details, but they do not have the new restored version listed. (UPC 0-2519-22756-7-8). I ask, because generally I do not open my movies until I am ready to view it and I do not want the code to expire on me.

Thanks.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
DennisBassi said:
Does anyone know when the digital copy code expires? It says to go to nbcucodes.com for details, but they do not have the new restored version listed. (UPC 0-2519-22756-7-8). I ask, because generally I do not open my movies until I am ready to view it and I do not want the code to expire on me.

Thanks.
The insert on the inside of the box says the exact same thing "Redemption code subject to expiration. Visit NBCUcodes.com for details." It's been my experience that most of the codes are valid way beyond expiratio. As for Spartacus, you're not missing much as the digital download is not of the restored version anyway.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just finished watching my new blu-ray. Amazing. Haven't seen the film since I saw the 1991 restoration on VHS. What a difference. And it's jaw-dropping how Anthony Hopkins mimics Olivier's voice for that one scene. I honestly couldn't tell the difference, but maybe if I listen again with headphones....? Powerful and moving movie.

Does anyone know what the missing scene of Laughton's character's end was like?

I think there are some good thoughts in the wikipedia article about some of the larger meanings of the film:

"The film parallels 1950s American history, specifically HUAC hearings and the civil rights movement. The hearings, where witnesses were demanded to "name names" of supposed communist sympathizers, resemble the climactic scene when the slaves, asked by Crassus to give up their leader by pointing him out from the multitude, each stand up to proclaim, "I am Spartacus". Howard Fast, who wrote the book on which the film was based, "was jailed for his refusal to testify, and wrote the novelSpartacus while in prison".[20] The comment of how slavery was a central part of American history is pointed to in the beginning in the scenes featuring Draba and Spartacus. Draba sacrifices himself by attacking Crassus rather than kill Spartacus. This scene could point to the fact that Americans are indebted to the suffering of African Americans, who played a major role in building the country. The fight to end segregation and to promote the equality of African Americans is seen in the mixing of races within the gladiator school as well as in the army of Spartacus where all fight for freedom...."

spartacus-poster.jpg

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've been getting this out weekly to watch and listen to bits and pieces. It is a magnificent home video release. When I think back to the days of VHS and early Laserdisc, and even the first Blu-ray release, then put this in, a big smile comes across my face. I do feel fortunate that some of the studios are still willing to give the collectors fine work such as this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks