What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, the film was dark in a movie theater in 3-D. I liked the film more than you did, but I haven't bought the 3-D disc, only the 4K/UHD one.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the film was dark in a movie theater in 3-D. I liked the film more than you did, but I haven't bought the 3-D disc, only the 4K/UHD one.

I have the 4K and think it looks better than the 2D version I saw theatrically, mainly because the latter was so damned dark.

And that's why I'd be reluctant to go 3D. 3D can lower brightness levels so I'm afraid to see how murky and muddy a 3D version of this would be!

I just know there were many moments during my theatrical screening where I could barely tell what was happening.

Not an issue on the 4K - I thought it looked great!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think the 4K disc is one of the least impressive that I own. Many of the dark scenes (and there are many) are dull, brownish, and lacking in shadow detail.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
If I recall correctly the high end theater we saw it in looked the way Doug says the 4K looked. Very dark, brown, muddy looking.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think the 4K disc is one of the least impressive that I own. Many of the dark scenes (and there are many) are dull, brownish, and lacking in shadow detail.
Yeah, I saw this film twice in a movie theater, once in 3-D then again in 2-D. I think the 4K disc captures the look of the film as I remembered from my theater viewings.

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.

It's one of those times where I think the disc looks exactly like it should, and fully matches the intent, but man I dislike how it looks anyway. If it was a noir detective movie or something it would work fine, but it's basically an 80's feeling blockbuster and the look just doesn't suit it at all. I get the noir influences, don't get me wrong, but they're not enough to justify that visual style.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's one of those times where I think the disc looks exactly like it should, and fully matches the intent, but man I dislike how it looks anyway. If it was a noir detective movie or something it would work fine, but it's basically an 80's feeling blockbuster and the look just doesn't suit it at all. I get the noir influences, don't get me wrong, but they're not enough to justify that visual style.

I can understand that complaint, as a big action flick like "Solo" seems like an odd choice for that form of cinematography.

I guess they wanted to make Solo's origins both literally and figuratively dark 'n' moody!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Cinematography is by far my biggest problem with this film. If I could see what was going on I would probably like this movie a lot more than I do.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Cinematography is by far my biggest problem with this film. If I could see what was going on I would probably like this movie a lot more than I do.

As I noted, I agree the image was murky when I saw it theatrically, but I had no trouble at all making out the image on 4K...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched it on Netflix. I enjoyed seeing it again.

I’m glad I’ve held off buying it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks