What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Granada TV Series -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
OK, I'm sort of confused.

On Amazon there is a 12 disk Blu (american) set for 199.99 with 2310 minutes (http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Complete-Jeremy-Brett/dp/B00L2YXV2W/ref=sr_1_11?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1410019663&sr=1-11&keywords=sherlock+holmes)

There is also a 10 disk imported from spain set for 113.68 with 2592 minutes (http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Collection-Baskervilles-Reg/dp/B00EEQ1UPA/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1410019663&sr=1-6&keywords=sherlock+holmes)

or import it from Spain for 57 Euros = $73.82 plus shipping and probably a lot longer than prime takes (http://www.amazon.es/Sherlock-Holmes-Colecci%C3%B3n-Completa-Blu-ray/dp/B00DK9P9IG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410020556&sr=8-1&keywords=sherlock+holmes+blu+ray)

The Spanish import is two fewer disks and 282 minutes more content.

Am I looking at the right stuff?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
PMBen said:
So, were the previous chapters shot in 16mm or S-16? I don't think so, but I don't know and I've always wondered about it. Does anyone have info on this?
Everything was shot on 16mm except Sign of the Four. 16mm can look very good, and it was the standard for a lot of British TV shows shot on film in that era.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
sidburyjr said:
OK, I'm sort of confused. Am I looking at the right stuff?
Yes. I'm pretty sure they all have the same content. The running times listed there are wrong. However, the Spanish set comes out at a lower price when you check out, because Europeans have a Value Added Tax that people ordering from the US don't have to pay. Amazon automatically deducts that if you ship to the US. It usually ends up being about the same dollars to euro, so the actual price from Amazon Spain will be under $60. I don't know if they have the Spanish set at Amazon UK, but the shipping from Amazon UK is always much cheaper than Germany, Italy, France or Spain. I don't know why.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
sidburyjr said:
OK, I'm sort of confused.

On Amazon there is a 12 disk Blu (american) set for 199.99 with 2310 minutes (http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Complete-Jeremy-Brett/dp/B00L2YXV2W/ref=sr_1_11?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1410019663&sr=1-11&keywords=sherlock+holmes)

There is also a 10 disk imported from spain set for 113.68 with 2592 minutes (http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holmes-Collection-Baskervilles-Reg/dp/B00EEQ1UPA/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1410019663&sr=1-6&keywords=sherlock+holmes)

or import it from Spain for 57 Euros = $73.82 plus shipping and probably a lot longer than prime takes (http://www.amazon.es/Sherlock-Holmes-Colecci%C3%B3n-Completa-Blu-ray/dp/B00DK9P9IG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410020556&sr=8-1&keywords=sherlock+holmes+blu+ray)

The Spanish import is two fewer disks and 282 minutes more content.

Am I looking at the right stuff?
bigshot said:
Yes. I'm pretty sure they all have the same content. The running times listed there are wrong. However, the Spanish set comes out at a lower price when you check out, because Europeans have a Value Added Tax that people ordering from the US don't have to pay. Amazon automatically deducts that if you ship to the US. It usually ends up being about the same dollars to euro, so the actual price from Amazon Spain will be under $60. I don't know if they have the Spanish set at Amazon UK, but the shipping from Amazon UK is always much cheaper than Germany, Italy, France or Spain. I don't know why.
I compared both the Amazon UK and Spain sites. Out the door shipped from UK was $99. From Spain $73.62. The conversion from Euros was more economical than the one from British Pounds. I'm going to order the set from Amazon Spain. Great deal.I love MPI, but I just can't swallow that much of a difference for essentially the same product.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The summation would seem to be that buyers of either the Spanish or MPI set will be totally happy with what they get. Both (although I'm only going on reports for the MPI set) sound as if they're considerable upgrades from the old DVDs.
I've had the Spanish set for a few months now and they show a huge improvement over my old DVDs. Reports are that the sound is compressed, but this seems unnoticeable. The viewing experience for such an old TV series is superb.
So choose either set ... only your wallet will notice a major difference.
And enjoy Jeremy Brett ... one of our very favourite actors, and totally fascinating in this role.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
AnthonyClarke said:
The summation would seem to be that buyers of either the Spanish or MPI set will be totally happy with what they get. Both (although I'm only going on reports for the MPI set) sound as if they're considerable upgrades from the old DVDs.
I've had the Spanish set for a few months now and they show a huge improvement over my old DVDs. Reports are that the sound is compressed, but this seems unnoticeable. The viewing experience for such an old TV series is superb.
So choose either set ... only your wallet will notice a major difference.
And enjoy Jeremy Brett ... one of our very favourite actors, and totally fascinating in this role.
Well then I guess that's a point in favor of the US version which is uncompressed LPCM 2.0.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mark-P said:
Well then I guess that's a point in favor of the US version which is uncompressed LPCM 2.0.
Keep in mind that this not a series to show off your sound system. I think the difference between compressed and uncompressed would be negligible.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mark-P said:
True, but there is no way that is worth an extra $100 to me (on sale, $156 more at full retail.) Not for this particular TV series.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Yeah, I cracked and bought the Spanish set from Amazon Spain in the end. I got it for $85 AUD shipped, whereas the US set is currently $210 AUD shipped - I figure it will take a long time for the US set to drop by $125, if ever.

Just a note, the Spanish set's price fluctuates daily on what appears to be a set cycle - around morning time US it drops to as low as 52 euro, then it jumps back to 62-64 euro several hours later. I saw this happen for several days, so I bought at the bottom of the cycle. Since there's no shortage of stock, and it's being sold and fulfilled by Amazon Spain, if you want to order, just wait for the bottom of the cycle before doing so.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I got the individual Spanish sets when they first came out. Paid €60. Was quite happy with it. The lack of day-for-night filters in Sign of Four is the only real issue of note. Otherwise, it is a head-and-shoulders improvement over the remastered DVD set (which was already a head-and-shoulders improvement over the original DVD releases). I've bought this series three separate times now, and thankfully, it's cheaper each time I re-buy it.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
dana martin said:
not the normal place to go looking for a pre order, but currently this is

$49.98 at shop TCM but you have to use a credit card, kind of hard to pass on that offer
Thanks for the heads up, Dana. Ordered.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Another big thanks, Dana! Pre-ordered as well. 78+% off of list. Fantastic!!

I half-heartedly wonder if someone didn't forget a 1 in the price when entering the info in the computer. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, just commenting on the situation. Maybe I'm a little chagrined because I already own the Spanish version. Might have paid a bit more too. :)Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I wonder if TCM won't be canceling these orders, hope not.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Johnny Angell said:
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I wonder if TCM won't be canceling these orders, hope not.
They'd better not, because I ordered something else with it and I'm not paying $6 shipping for a single disc.

---------------

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I gave it a try. Also added a couple Criterion Blu-rays that are on sale at 50% off right now. Used the TCMSHOP10 code for $10 off $75.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
JohnMor said:
Another big thanks, Dana! Pre-ordered as well. 78+% off of list. Fantastic!!

I half-heartedly wonder if someone didn't forget a 1 in the price when entering the info in the computer. ;)
Ssshhhhhhhhh....... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_graham861
Recent bookmarks