What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
New discoverers of Richard Lester's Robin and Marian, a paean to aging in the middle ages, will find more than a bit of resemblance to Tony Harvey's wonderful The Lion in Winter, which came eight years previous.

Listen to the score of Robin, and you'll find the textures of John Barry's work in Lion. And then, of course, there are James Goldman's screenplays.

The major news, at the time of release, was that Audrey Hepburn was returning to film for the first time in a decade - since her starring role in Wait Until Dark.

Her magnificently delicate features, were showing a bit of bottle age - very much in sync with the appearance of Sean Connery, both the same age, heading toward fifty.

What always struck me about this film, was the weight of things, and how difficult it was for former warriors of a certain age, to lift, forget about fighting with huge steel swords. This is seen in no more obvious light, than in the final battle between Mr. Connery, and the extraordinary Robert Shaw, as the Sheriff of Nottingham, who had made Robin's life a bit problematic decades earlier, when he was light on his feet, as the great Robin of Sherwood.

This is a small film, with a stellar cast that beautifully stands the test of time.

For those concerned about such things, I had originally thought that this was a new line of MOD titles coming from Sony, of Columbia titles. The disc is, in fact, pressed, regardless of distribution and manufacture.

The image and audio transfer, are typically Columbia, which means, superb.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Blair

Agent
Real Name
David Blair
This is a wonderful film. My impression from a prior theater presentation is that ithe film was soft looking, much like the “Great Train Robbery” and other films of that era. Am I mistaken?

I am unaware of any MOD Blu- rays Do such items exist outside of pirated versions. Do such items exist? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The prints I remember... and I could be wrong... had somewhat desaturated color, in that sense what does this new blu ray look like?

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I am really looking forward to seeing this on Blu. In many ways apart from Errol Flynn's version of Robin Hood this is my favourite film about Robin. The John Barry score is magnificent and Connery's last lines of the film always bring a tear to my eyes.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
we need more Blu-rays of films photographed by David Watkin.
Absolutely! THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE & MARAT/SADE come instantly to mind. Unfortunately, those films are owned by MGM, so I'm not holding my breath.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I don't know. Filmstruck is a very specific niche audience. THE DEVILS has never been released on DVD in the US, and only from the BFI in the UK, not Warner; again, for a very specific niche audience. Of course one can always hope.

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
Wow! Thank you, Mr. Harris. This release was totally beneath my radar. I love this film. I remember being much taken aback by the ending on my first viewing. Then appreciating how appropriate it was. Fantastic cast. Richard Lester is one of my favorite directors. I wish his Musketeer films (including the somewhat forgotten sequel) would be restored & re-released. Again. Thanks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wow! Thank you, Mr. Harris. This release was totally beneath my radar. I love this film. I remember being much taken aback by the ending on my first viewing. Then appreciating how appropriate it was. Fantastic cast. Richard Lester is one of my favorite directors. I wish his Musketeer films (including the somewhat forgotten sequel) would be restored & re-released. Again. Thanks.

Released. Why restored?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I had the Richard Lester Three/Four Musketeers on Blu-ray, but found the picture quality quite disappointing (hardly better than the DVDs). I'd replace the word restored with the words, done properly, maybe even go back to the OCN. It may...or may not happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks