What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pony Soldier-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Pony Soldier, which was released at the very end of 1952, was among the final Fox productions in three-strip Technicolor, before the switch to CinemaScope and Eastman Color. Starring Tyrone Power, one of Fox's top contract stars, it isn't a film that has aged well. What should be one of the major attractions, Technicolor on Blu-ray, doesn't hold up, as the element used appears to be an older composite taken to Eastman dupe. Not that I'd blame Fox for doing so, as this is a film that I can't see going through a 4k scan and registration just for home video. For those fans of Tyrone Power, this Blu-ray will fill one more hole toward getting a decently complete collection of his work. And there are some very fine films in his CV. The strange thing is, that with so many great Power-starring productions, this is the first to make it to Blu-ray. There are the great Fox three-strip productions -- Jesse James, Blood and Sand, The Black Swan, Crash Dive, Captain from Castile... If I could hand select a single Power film to arrive ASAP on Blu-ray, it would be The Long Gray Line, which hopefully will come our way via Twilight Time from Columbia. Pony Soldier is an interesting relic of its era. Image - 2.5 Audio - 4 RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah, this one might be one of the weakest looking Twilight Time titles to date, though it is more a fault of Fox that Twilight Time. The Flint blu-rays also weren't up to the usual standard of the the Sony offerings and other previous Fox releases, though made up for it in extra features. It's great to see this one finally released on home video. While not the best of Tyrone Powers' films, I thought it was rather good. A rare instance where the Indians spoke fluent English, and the sole male American character was the bad guy.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I looked at Twilight Time's website today to see if they had any preorders up for Drums Along the Mohawk and I noticed this. I didn't even know this came out. Personally, I think Twilight Time would be well advised to put out Press Releases like Criterion. It would really help publicize some of their titles. As for Mr. Harris's desire for The Long Grey Line on blu all I can say is YES YES YES!!!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JoeDoakes said:
I looked at Twilight Time's website today to see if they had any preorders up for Drums Along the Mohawk and I noticed this. I didn't even know this came out. Personally, I think Twilight Time would be well advised to put out Press Releases like Criterion. It would really help publicize some of their titles. As for Mr. Harris's desire for The Long Grey Line on blu all I can say is YES YES YES!!!!
I reviewed it here in February, too. That's both Robert Harris and I reviewing the release at HTF. Twilight Time put out its usual announcement on the site and via e-mail through SAE. What more can we do?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks