What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Passengers -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Passengers is the real thing when it comes to 4k.

Directed by Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game), it's a film that places you inside a huge interstellar device, transporting people to a new colony far enough away that it takes over 90 years to get there.

Problem is that during some sort of collision, software resets, but places one of the thousand or so travelers in wake mode.

That leaves Chris Pratt is a bit of a predicament, creating the moral and ethical ride on which the film takes us.

Shot large format as data, and finished in 4k, the resultant Blu-ray from Sony is gorgeous in all respects, with a highly resolved image, rich blacks and a Dolby Atmos track which matches the visual quality.

A gorgeous production, with highly detailed production design.

Fans of Andy Garcia, and I consider myself to be one, will be thrilled with his performance as the great Captain Norris. This may be the role that he has be meant to play, placing everything before as secondary. And he only receives fifth billing for his work.

After viewing the film, one really must ask the question, "how far would you go, and what would you do, not to be alone?"

All of that said, Passengers, isn't a great film, but it is an interesting one, that's thought-provoking.

Does Sony's 4k release make it a worthwhile spin?

I believe it does.

Especially since Sony makes the 3D Blu-ray a part of the package. Something that I'd like to see other studios also do.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I viewed the 4K/UHD disc yesterday. It's a reference type disc! The film was much better than what I was led to believe by reading personal reviews of it during its theatrical run. I love your Andy Garcia joke.;)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I too enjoyed Andy Garcia's performance. It was nearly on par with the humbling thespian talents employed by the great Mark Hamill in The Force Awakens, only with a hat instead of a hoodie.

The 3-D on this was fantastic.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I wanted but to pick up the 4K set so I'd be 4K proof when I upgrade and wanted to watch it in 3D and of course it only has 5.1 and atmos 4K disc only. I guess that was 25.00 saved.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Garcia was robbed of a Supporting Nomination. Rarely have I seen a performance that truly shocked and confused me.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
And the Best Reaction to Finding Trees Growing in the Space Ship Floor After 90-Odd Years of No Sunlight or Renewed Nutrients goes to... La La Land!

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have been intending to buy the 4k disc (i still might) but streamed it in UHD on Prime. Basically the film is Robinson Crusoe in Space, who then wakes up Sleeping Beauty (Aurora - clever name!). It just goes to show there are no more original stories. I thought it was a good film and the two leads were great. Slightly disappointed with the very end. Good looking film.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wanted but to pick up the 4K set so I'd be 4K proof when I upgrade and wanted to watch it in 3D and of course it only has 5.1 and atmos 4K disc only. I guess that was 25.00 saved.
The 4K & 3D set was $25 more than the 4K only?

I think I misunderstood, since the combo is quite cheap right now.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The 4K & 3D set was $25 more than the 4K only?

I think I misunderstood, since the combo is quite cheap right now.

The post you responded to is almost 3 years old.

Also, I don't think there is a 4K only release.

Also also, I think he was saying the "$25 saved" was for the package period - meaning the difference between spending $25 for the 4K/3D vs. $0 for nothing...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Because the 3D and 4K discs came in the same package, I've never even watched the 4K version. I need to do something about that soon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve been too enamored with the 3D version to look beyond that as well. I had been thinking about this movie a bunch lately and I think I’ll end up revisiting it soon. It’s prime Andy Garcia :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This thread made me watch the movie the other night in 4K. However, when I have a 3D version available, I just can’t watch any other version. 3D it was and it’s beautiful. In another thread about this movie someone posted to try watching the movie by starting at the point where Pratt’s character wakes of Aurora. It changes to move to something akin to a thriller when you know nothing about his character and why he woke her up. Darn, I failed to do that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks