What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mary Poppins -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
as for dick van dyke, i've always considered his performance here as one of the best musical performances in movie history!

Are you serious? I take it that you have seen EVERY musical film from EVERY country for over 100 years? I could think of hundreds of better performances. Just how many musical films have you seen?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I guess some of these people have never seen a Sean Connery film that isn't a Bond. :)

Accents...it amuses me that even some very mild accents (some Australian, certain English & Scottish) get an English lol dub track for the NA market. And we wonder why they don't go to a lot of trouble re accents...even some British people complain they can't understand the accents from regions of their own countries (city!) and why are there no English subtitles (very common).

When I first went to the USA, I was told that Americans found it hard to understand accents from both Australia and Britain. Maybe that is why the Americans dislike British films so much?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
You know, there have been plenty of good, iffy, and poor accents in the history of cinema.

If I were to list all the other poor accents I've heard on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being not quite perfect and 10 being the worst I'd head other than DvD in MP, I'd score the one in MP about 36. It really is truly abysmal.

If you've heard us Brits were not bothered about the accent you've been badly misinformed. It's still something joked about on a regular basis, to this day.

But RC is right, it doesn't ruin the film. What's good about the film is absolutely fantastic, and it'd be virtually impossible to spoil it.

But that accent, I'll go out on a limb, is one of the worst, perhaps the worst single aspect of any film I've ever seen.

It really is that bad.

But when he dances...for me, he can be forgiven just about anything.

Steve W

I agree with you 100% It is not only in Britain where

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I agree with you 100% It is not only in Britain where

Sorry- I hadn't finished my reply and accidentally entered it too early. To continue: It is not only in Britain where Van Dyke's accent is still joked about after 50 years. However , MARY POPPINS is still one of the all time greats in musical films. The entire cast were flawless ( except D.V.D's accent).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sherman Brothers fan alert:

http://theseconddisc.com/2016/09/26...uce-kimmel-announces-unsung-sherman-brothers/

This is mouthwatering stuff. Well done, Kritzerland!

Thanks so much for that heads up, David!!

I'm listening to it right now - if you love the Brothers you will want this CD - it's fantastic stuff. :)

Pre-ordered!

...along with enough other stuff that I should be getting one of the copies signed by the great man himself--and, of course, I'm referring to Richard Sherman (not Mr. Kimmel! :laugh: Although I have MANY of Bruce's CDs produced during his Varese Sarabande days). You better not be out of the signed copies yet, Bruce!! :D

Nice interview, by the way, with the folks at Second Disc. :thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You have a signed copy for sure, Mike!

So cool! Thanks, Bruce!

It will have a place of honor next to another of my prized possessions (located on my media room wall):

full

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I'm listening to it right now - if you love the Brothers you will want this CD - it's fantastic stuff. :)

I am curious about how rights are handled for unreleased recordings of this type. Are ASCAP fees or permission from artists' estates involved? We often hear about how music rights hold up releases.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Absolutely Doug -- many consider Robert Mitchum's accent in "The Sundowners" the best Australian one done by an overseas actor.

And yes, they are usually very cockney, especially in movies and tv made in the 50s and 60s -- even though Ernest Borgnine in "Summer of the 17th Doll" gets the rap for his accent in that movie, Anne Baxter must have been tutored by Dick Van Dyke's dialect coach if you hear her in that picture.

And while some things change, plenty stay the same -- the guy who played the Australian in last year's "Pacific Rim" didn't exactly get it right either .

Did cinemagoers really care about accents in the 50's and 60's? I never even thought about it at the time.People are more fussy to-day.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Picked this up today on bluray after not seeing it for many years. Glad to report the film itself is just as magical and enchanting as ever, without a false note from beginning to end. Likewise the blu ray is beautifully filmic, and cleaned and remastered up in a way that fully honors the work of the film-makers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks