What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ironically Bayona got to make Fallen Kingdom in 2.35 so I'm not sure what the point of this compromise was.
And Trevorrow was the director of JW, not Spielberg, so I'm not even sure why he'd have a say. If he wanted to direct it, he should have signed on.

We all know that's what SS chose for the first films because of the airtight logic: "dinosaurs are tall".

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And Trevorrow was the director of JW, not Spielberg, so I'm not even sure why he'd have a say. If he wanted to direct it, he should have signed on.

We all know that's what SS chose for the first films because of the airtight logic: "dinosaurs are tall".
Should have shot it in Imax instead of 35mm Open Matte then if Spielberg wanted height.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Should have shot it in Imax instead of 35mm Open Matte then if Spielberg wanted height.
Was IMAX a big thing in 1992? Were they making films especially for the format?

I haven't followed the format's development much since, to this day, the closest IMAX to me is over 100 miles away.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Spielberg has been an Executive Producer on all of the JP/JW films since III. He has say, plus he's the "father" of the franchise. ;)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I don't have it handy, but I recall when reading the American Cinematographer article on JURASSIC WORLD that it was an artistic decision to experiment with a 2:1 aspect ratio by Trevorrow and his cinematographer. It was also partially shot in 65mm, and oddly finished in a 2.4K DI instead of either 4K or 2K.

Vincent

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Was IMAX a big thing in 1992? Were they making films especially for the format?

I haven't followed the format's development much since, to this day, the closest IMAX to me is over 100 miles away.

Mid-1970s.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
What was the first feature length Hollywood non documentary film shown in IMAX?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, these are nice upgrades over the Blus...enjoyed watching all four UHD BDs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Disney's Fantasia 2000 was the first theatrical IMAX feature, released on 1/1/2000.

The Stones did an IMAX concert movie in 1991. I guess you could call that a "documentary" and not a "theatrical feature film", but it still was something that differed from the usual educational fare.

Was "Dark Knight" the first live-action "theatrical feature film" to use actual IMAX footage?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Was "Dark Knight" the first live-action "theatrical feature film" to use actual IMAX footage?
I believe so yes. The problem with IMAX back in the day was the platters they used for their projectors could only hold about an hour of film. That's why they were limited to nature documentaries and the like.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know whether the included Blu-Rays are downconverts from the new 4K masters, a la Grease, or just reissues of the existing Blu-Rays?

I don't have it handy, but I recall when reading the American Cinematographer article on JURASSIC WORLD that it was an artistic decision to experiment with a 2:1 aspect ratio by Trevorrow and his cinematographer. It was also partially shot in 65mm, and oddly finished in a 2.4K DI instead of either 4K or 2K.
I believe I remember reading somewhere that it was shot in 2.20:1 with the knowledge that it'd be cropped to 2:1 for release, and the visual effects teams found the extra information on the sides useful when completing their work.

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
I've only taken a look at (the original) Jurassic Park and have to admit...I'm pretty disappointed. I'd venture a guess and say that this is the same or similar release that Universal used for their 3D bluray - all of the egregious DNR remains baked in (yuck). There's a very digital appearance and I felt that the added resolution made it that much worse. The picture quality also fluctuates from scene to scene....one moment I found myself in awe, and the next wincing out how ugly some of the picture quality appeared. If there's a positive (again, I'm only speaking about the original film), it's the DTS:X track - it's incredible. I thought Universal was back on the high horse, but I guess I'm mistaken. This feels like an important motion picture and I'm surprised the picture wasn't treated better for this release. I love you Mr. Harris, and always look forward to your opinions on transfers, but I have to disagree with you on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks