What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hondo -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Craig_Ehr said:
Not sure I understand this. Are you stating, in effect, that both the left and right camera prints are copyrighted separately? Really?! :O
Licenses are granted separately from copyrights.
For example, one can have a license to distribute on a certain medium, in a certain territory, for a certain amount of time, etc.
The earliest film to make a big impression at the boxoffice, The Birth of a Nation, was distributed in territories around the country. Just an example.
All of these are not the same coverage as the basic copyright.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Craig_Ehr /t/320871/a-few-words-about-hondo-in-blu-ray#post_3928001
Not sure I understand this. Are you stating, in effect, that both the left and right camera prints are copyrighted separately? Really?! :O
The copyright of the film in any format belongs to the rights holder, but terms of how it can be produced and released by a licensee are subject to a license agreement which can be very particular about how something can be released, the elements from which it may be derived, and even how it may be distributed. I have no idea whether this is the case with Hondo or not. I don't think Robert knows for sure either, but it would not be that unusual given precedent with other licensed material.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Funny. I remember when a movie would be shown on TV in 3-D going to a 7-Eleven store and picking up the cardboard anaglyph 3-D glasses. Then, I'd have people from work come over my house and it would be a big thing to see Hondo in 3-D on a large 27 inch TV! It really sucked. Even with someone, I think it was Michael Wayne's daughter, telling us how to adjust the color on the TV to get the best 3-D. But, when the next movie came out in 3-D on TV, maybe Gorilla at Large, we would do the same thing hoping the 3-D would be better. It still sucked.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by RolandL /t/320871/a-few-words-about-hondo-in-blu-ray#post_3928010
Funny. I remember when a movie would be shown on TV in 3-D going to a 7-Eleven store and picking up the cardboard anaglyph 3-D glasses. Then, I'd have people from work come over my house and it would be a big thing to see Hondo in 3-D on a large 27 inch TV! It really sucked. Even with someone, I think it was Michael Wayne's daughter, telling us how to adjust the color on the TV to get the best 3-D. But, when the next movie came out in 3-D on TV, maybe Gorilla at Large, we would do the same thing hoping the 3-D would be better. It still sucked.

So does live baseball in 3D. After viewing this with a friend, we finally came to the conclusion that we don't SEE baseball in 3D. It's all in the distance.

What's sad is that I remember neighbors coming over when I was a kid to see the test pattern.

RAH

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
JParker said:
/t/320871/a-few-words-about-hondo-in-blu-ray#post_3928013

So does live baseball in 3D. After viewing this with a friend, we finally came to the conclusion that we don't SEE baseball in 3D. It's all in the distance.
Basketball in 3D however is fairly impressive, as it gives the viewer better nuance to the depth of shots from around the court, which are "compressed" quite unnaturally in 2D once you recognize it (a shot from the top of the key when compared to the sidelines may be the same depth but 2D makes the sideline shots much flatter and therefore make them look "closer".)

----

BTW, glad to hear that the AR is correct on this release.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
For whatever reason, Gretchen Wayne is fiercely protective of the 3-D version of HONDO. Despite having a brand new left/right 35mm print, she would not allow it to be screened at either 3-D Expo, even though people came from around the world to see the shows.
I'm not optimistic...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/320871/a-few-words-about-hondo-in-blu-ray#post_3928029
For whatever reason, Gretchen Wayne is fiercely protective of the 3-D version of HONDO. Despite having a brand new left/right 35mm print, she would not allow it to be screened at either 3-D Expo, even though people came from around the world to see the shows.
I think she is holding off on some multi-billion dollar deal for the 3-D version.
I'm not optimistic...

Well, at least now we know not to fault Paramount too much for no-3D on this release. A shame.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Brandon Conway said:
As part of the Republic catalog that Paramount owns, this one should be coming from Olive Films sometime in the next year. Hopefully Paramount will allow them to use the UCLA restoration elements for the transfer.

Quote from Robert Harris c.2005:

"The Quiet Man was properly restored by Robert Gitt of The UCLA Film & Television Archive several years ago. The problem with the film is not the elements."

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/210077/a-few-words-about-dodge-city#post_2503442

---

BTW, glad to hear that the AR is correct on this release.

Thanks; I hope something does come out.

As to 3D, I don't think the human eye sees beyond ten feet, as Doug Trumbull's research has found out. Higher frame rates and higher resolution and brightness may open the "window".

From his Hollywood Reporter interview:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/risky-business/ves-douglas-trumbull-peter-jackson-james-cameron-2001-kubrick-288290

QUOTE]THR: Does the kind of spectacle you’re aiming for come at a conceptual level?[/B]

...And I was doing that with ShowScan 35 years ago. Peter [Anderson] mentioned it, and we did some really far-out experiments and even fooled people like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, who came into my studio and they thought that what was on the screen was really a real event, and that’s still not recognized within the main industry. The Academy is trying to archive my ShowScan negatives, but I want to demonstrate that’s all completely feasible. And the wonderful thing about digital technology now is that there’s no really substantial meaningful add of cost. People don’t know that the projectors sitting in these theaters are running at 144 frames a second, but they’re just showing every frame over and over and over. I’m just trying to say, well, give the projectors some new frames? It’s like brainless to make it brighter; it means you do have to spend some more in the lamphouse, but there’s a whole new era of laser projectors that’s entering the marketplace now that very few people have seen. I witnessed it about a month ago and it’s mind-boggling. The quality of image that we can project on screens with laser projectors is incredible color gamut, absolutely even field of light, very bright, very big, and when I increase the frame rate, it’s going to be like a window. So it’s a movie that’s more like a live show, and I want to see what that’s going to be like. I think it’s going to be really fun.[/QUOTE]

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Amazingly, I have never seen Hondo, so I am looking forward to this release. Never been a 3D fan, so the lack of inclusion of that version doesn't bother me. I do feel for those people who wanted to see it in 3D, though.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Furmanek said:
I think she is holding off on some multi-billion dollar deal for the 3-D version.
I'm not optimistic...
Personally, what I think would be the best business decision would be to explore a theatrical run. I think Hondo has more theatrical potential than any other vintage 3D film, and I would think that if the 3D version were digitally projected and the film given a modest marketing budget, it has significant profit potential. A 3D blu could be released sometime after that. At any rate, probably sometime in the next few years would be the best timeframe for her. I just hope she's not too greedy.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I think several others would do quite well theatrically, including House of Wax and Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Bob

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/320871/a-few-words-about-hondo-in-blu-ray/30#post_3928300
I think several others would do quite well theatrically, including House of Wax and Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Bob
I'm not so sure about that as it depends on the theater's location and the amount of publicity. However, a John Wayne reissue with 3-D would draw in many locales.

Sid Verbal

Auditioning
Real Name
D Williams
I can't for the life of me remember if I saw the 3D version of Hondo on the big screen during the 80's or if I just remember watching the anaglyphic TV version; I'm pretty sure I saw it in a repertoire theatre along with some other vintage 3D movies during the 80's 3D craze. Anyway, as I recall, it was essentially a low-key 3D experience, much like Dial M for Murder (which I definitely DID see on a big screen).
I've been watching it on Amazon streaming, as it was apparently part of a package of Paramount films Amazon acquired to stream to Amazon Prime members. It's pretty much as I remember it - not a bad western, but no great shakes either. Some of the Indian stuff is pretty hokey and I find Geraldine Page annoying. Has it's moments but no "Searchers" and not as fun to me as a lot of Duke westerns. The Amazon encode is 1:33 but has nice quality on the first generation shots. However, the constant cutting back and forth between first generation material and dupe material I find quite distracting. Hopefully the Blu-ray has managed to smooth some of that out.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Furmanek can confirm, but generally mono prints used the left eye.

Especially for the manufacture of 16mm, every print that I've ever come across of Dial "M" or House of Wax has been the left eye.

Have no idea why.

RAH

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It has to do with the configuration of the camera rig and which side was photographed with a mirror.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Harris said:
What's sad is that I remember neighbors coming over when I was a kid to see the test pattern.
RAH
Probably more fun than watching 3-D anaglyph.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks