What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ghostbusters -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Ghostbusters looks superb in 4k...The final result appears to be a projected 35mm print, with all grain structure intact.

Robert, I couldn't agree with you more. Watching this UHD Blu-ray brought back 100% feelings of watching 35mm, but this time it was in my home. My jaw dropped because I've never seen film look like this at home - ever. It was the grain - all of that beautiful grain - that felt layered over top of the image. It was dancing alive with colours and shades, organic and with its own personality. The movie played "behind it" and gave the image depth; the grain was a highly translucent curtain in a bygone era of filmmaking. Not razor sharp at all. I wasn't looking for that nor expecting it. But 35mm film playing in my home without the film reels running behind me...I want that.

This UHD Blu-ray disc format is capable of this excitement and delivering solid images on screens sizes beyond 10-feet. I want to see more titles scanned from film with the hopes of grain remaining intact and not wiped out.

I did a comparison to the good Blu-ray in the package to the UHD Blu-ray. The Blu-ray was put in an Oppo UDP-203 and the UHD-BD in the Oppo UDP-205, so the players handle the video the same way. It was switched with an AV ProConnect AC-MX88 UHD matrix switcher on a JVC DLA-X970 projector. The projector was calibrated for both HD BT.709 on UHD BT.2020/HDR with a Konica-Minolta CS-1000A spectroradiometer and using HDR test patterns.

Projected on a 10-foot 2.35:1 CIH EluneVision Reference 4K screen, that great Blu-ray suddenly looked smeared, flat, and with less satisfying colours. Grain did not look the same. In many instances it looked frozen when using the UHD as the reference. This speaks volumes of UHD-BDs robust compression system that holds up very well on large screen sizes. The limits of Blu-ray, especially when dealing with fast moving images, are exposed with screen sizes greater than 6-feet. Even though my projector is only 1080p, there's far more information coming through on the UHD Blu-ray disc. I can only imagine at this point how much wider that gap will be with a native 4K panel. Later this year...

You can't unlearn quality. The bar has been raised.

Last edited:

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Robert, I couldn't agree with you more. Watching this UHD Blu-ray brought back 100% feelings of watching 35mm, but this time it was in my home. My jaw dropped because I've never seen film look like this at home - ever. It was the grain - all of that beautiful grain - that felt layered over top of the image. It was dancing alive with colours and shades, organic and with its own personality. The movie played "behind it" and gave the image depth; the grain was a highly translucent curtain in a bygone era of filmmaking. Not razor sharp at all. I wasn't looking for that nor expecting it. But 35mm film playing in my home without the film reels running behind me...I want that.

This UHD Blu-ray disc format is capable of this excitement and delivering solid images on screens sizes beyond 10-feet. I want to see more titles scanned from film with the hopes of grain remaining intact and not wiped out.

I did a comparison to the good Blu-ray in the package to the UHD Blu-ray. The Blu-ray was put in an Oppo UDP-203 and the UHD-BD in the Oppo UDP-205, so the players handle the video the same way. It was switched with an AV ProConnect AC-MX88 UHD matrix switcher on a JVC DLA-X970 projector. The projector was calibrated for both HD BT.709 on UHD BT.2020/HDR with a Konica-Minolta CS-1000A spectroradiometer and using HDR test patterns.

Projected on a 10-foot 2.35:1 CIH EluneVision Reference 4K screen, that great Blu-ray suddenly looked smeared, flat, and with less satisfying colours. Grain did not look the same. In many instances it looked frozen when using the UHD as the reference. This speaks volumes of UHD-BDs robust compression system that holds up very well on large screen sizes. The limits of Blu-ray, especially when dealing with fast moving images, are exposed with screen sizes greater than 6-feet. Even though my projector is only 1080p, there's far more information coming through on the UHD Blu-ray disc. I can only imagine at this point how much wider that gap will be with a native 4K panel. Later this year...

You can't unlearn quality. The bar has been raised.

Doesn't hold a candle to the 3D tho.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
Tonight at 7:30pm the Northbrook Public Library[Northbrook Illinois]will be showing Ghostbusters in 4K DCP[just a heads up if you're in the area......I might be going......I did go and it was well worth it imho]

Last edited:

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Just got a LG C8/OPPO 203 and this is the most filmic presentation I've seen in my limited viewing time, tho not the best image. The blacks are deep dark theater blacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks