What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's hard to believe that it was 23 years ago, that a group of 6 year-olds gathered in my basement screening room to watch E.T. in a beautiful (borrowed) 35mm print for their first time for my son's birthday. I recall distinctly, how they sat rapt for the entire 2 hours, hardly ever moving. And how their mothers (who weren't staying for the movie) sat on the floor, and never left.

Mr. Spielberg's E.T. is a film that one might like to go back and see again for the first time. But even having seen it dozens of times, each time I see it, every one of those original pleasures from 1982, comes roaring back.

And they do with perfection in this gorgeous Blu-ray representation of the film.

Allen Daviau's cinematography is breath-taking. Dennis Muren's special effects hold their own three decades later, under the unrelenting eye of a new 4k scan harvested from the original negative, with full 4k workflow.

Mr. Williams' magnificent orchestral score shines through via DTS-HD Master Audio.

Color, densities, black levels, shadow detail all appear perfect.

One of the greatest pieces of filmed entertainment ever created arrives on Blu-ray in to what my eye is perfection.

And to the think that the lead character was a...

I hate to use the "P" word, but...

a puppet. Not exactly. A dozen or so people controlling it, along with people in E.T. suits, and apparently a mime doing hand work.

Through the magic of E.T., he just doesn't appear to be one.

"This is reality, Greg."

And an absolutely perfectly rendered Blu-ray.

Extremely Highly Recommended.

RAH

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
RAH,

Happy to see that Universal got this one right.

Looking forward to watching it in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the wonderful insight.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
If only someone could talk Spielberg into overseeing all of Universal's transfers...

Real Name
Kenneth Kraly Jr.
Great early review Robert of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial on Blu-Ray. Looking forward to the release of E.T. on Blu-Ray on October 9th, I already have it pre ordered on Amazon.com. Can't wait for it. One of my favorite films of all-time.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Worth /t/323941/a-few-words-about-e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-in-blu-ray#post_3978665
If only someone could talk Spielberg into overseeing all of Universal's transfers...
When would he have time for making his own movies? Just be glad he's not letting them screw up HIS old catalog...I can hardly wait for this and "Schindler's List" next year..thanks for the review, Robert!!!

Can you tell us if the "moan" E.T. makes as

he is dying

has been restored to the soundtrack? It was missing from both dvd versions of the film.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm really excited to see this again.
Especially to crank it up during the bicycle chase seen.
Should sound amazing.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll have my review up tomorrow.
Yes, the guns are back in. The version on the Blu-ray (and the DVD that comes with it) is the 1982 theatrical version.
I'm not sure about the moan. I can go back to check it.

The transfer looks terrific. The movie sounds great, particularly the Williams score.

The new extras are really just a 12 minute interview with Spielberg where he talks about his intentions and about screening the movie for the Reagans, and there's a 50 minute assembly of the John Toll on-the-set footage that has been used in all the prior documentaries. Here, it's presented on its own, and there's probably about 20-30 minutes of material we haven't seen before.

The other extras are ported over from the 2002 DVD, which ironically means that the clips shown in those materials come from the 2002 version. So in the clips in the old featurettes, yes, you will see walkies...

I hope the moan is back on the track. It's still a poignant scene, but it was gut wrenching with it. The thing is that even though it was missing from the dvd tracks, there was still a notice on the subtitles "E.T. moans." It's right at "the moment" and E.T. moans and turns over on the hospital table. Thanks, Kevin.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The most gut-wrenching part of that sequence for me is the shot of Drew Barrymore when they use the defibrillator. It's heartbreaking to see her reaction.
(And there's a full look at the shooting of that exact shot in the Toll footage)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Its back in theaters in october for a limited run.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the feedback, RAH. Looking forward to this one. I just love the musical score and in my opinion, it's one of John Williams' best.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
The modifications made for the 2002 20th anniversary reissue seemed to be a good idea at the time, but I'm glad Steven Spielberg had gone back to the 1982 original version.
Still, with the advances with cgi, part of me wishes he would complete and put in the scene in the principal's office featuring an unbilled Harrison Ford -- like most of us who knows what was filmed, only the uncompleted footage remains (I saw it as part of the ultimate collectors edition laserdisc set) -- and I think it was a pretty funny and imaginative scene and would make 3-4 minutes of extra laughs in that section of the movie.

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
Watched it last night and I totally agree with Mr. Harris. It looks and sounds perfect and still makes me cry to this day. Awesome movie!

I made sure I pre-ordered the Best Buy digibook early this time..unlike JAWS, where I had to wait a few days. I'm showing this at SkyDome Cinema as my finale for the year on my birthday.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
How did you pre-order the digibook? I'm not finding it on their website.

I don't see it on there anymore either, but I checked my order status and it is there and in process. I pre-ordered last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks