What's new

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I have to admit to not having a clue as to about 1/4 of the cast members ...
1599161367662.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure I'd even include Branagh and Bening, as I don't think either of them can open a film on their names alone like a true "star".

I don't think we really have any of those anymore.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm not sure I'd even include Branagh and Bening, as I don't think either of them can open a film on their names alone like a true "star".

To be fair, I dont think Angela Lansbury, George Kennedy, Jon Finch, Lois Chiles, Jack Warden, and several other cast members of the '78 version, could ever 'open' a movie on their names alone, either.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To be fair, I dont think Angela Lansbury, George Kennedy, Jon Finch, Lois Chiles, Jack Warden, and several other cast members of the '78 version, could ever 'open' a movie on their names alone, either.
Those are still top-notch actors. Make and good movie and it will open.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. I think the concept of the Movie Star is pretty much dead. We still have a few around: Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, Julia Roberts, George Clooney but honestly, their "glory" days are behind them (they're all past 50). But they're still Stars. Bette Davis's great days as a star were long gone by the time of Death On The Nile but a Star she was and a Star she remained until her death.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

I suspect they were expecting some carryover/following from Gal's tentpole "Wonder Woman 1984" and that's where much of the casting budget went.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn

NONE of them have '' star '' quality in any shape or form but you forget one important factor and that is ...they all think they have ''star'' quality hence the film being remade.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
I recognize every actor in that poster since I watch plenty of Brit TV. How many Americans would have considered GOSFORD PARK's roster an all-star cast when it was first released?

That doesn't mean I'm expecting a great film, considering Branagh's take on ORIENT EXPRESS, but I cannot fault the casting in any way; they are all movie stars in my book. I would rather have real actors in a film over Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, or other recognizable non-players.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That doesn't mean I'm expecting a great film, considering Branagh's take on ORIENT EXPRESS, but I cannot fault the casting in any way; they are all movie stars in my book.

As much as I really really like Emma (SEX EDUCATION) Mackey, if I had my druthers I would have had her switch roles with Rose (GOOD FIGHT) Leslie. Rose is playing the maid 'Louise' and Emma is playing 'Jackie.' It MAY just be a 1978 hangover (since Rose reminds me a little of Mia Farrow) but, in the trailer, Mackey looks like she could be Gal Gadot's sister and it doesn't quite seem right for Jackie. Just my two cents!

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
We'll have to see the Branagh Death on the Nile just for that wonderful pairing of our favourite comedians after Morecambe and Wise.
I love couplings like that. Remember who played Ginger Rogers' mum in 'The Major and the Minor'?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finally got to watch this over the weekend. It'd probably been about 40 years since I'd seen it, and was happy that it it looked so good. Sure, you could say these Agatha Christie thrillers were formulaic, but the joy is in the execution of them (no pun intended), and Death on the Nile executes very nicely. It's a great cast, and I think this is Peter Ustinov's best turn as Poirot. I will probably get Evil Under the Sun next.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks