What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Boxcar Bertha -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Barbara Hershey was on a roll by the time she made Boxcar Bertha for Martin Scorsese in 1972. It was her eighth film in five years, and she was only beginning.

Unfortunately, for fans of Ms Hershey, as well as those of the director, one could only own a decent DVD for home viewing purposes.

Twilight Time was fortunate enough to be able to license the title, and their Blu-ray is a quality affair.

Color and densities look superb, while never hiding the tiny budget provided by AIP. Nonetheless, it's a winner.

I found only a single problem, with a diopter shot early on, in which half the screen takes on a greenish hue. Whether a part of the dynamics of the original photography, or fade on the dupe, it could have easily been fixed.

A gentle warning, to those who are thinking of investing in this title. Its apt to go quickly. You know, the director, and all...

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I saw this film when it first came out. At that time Barbara Hershey was already Barbara Hershey but Martin Scorsese had not yet quite arrived. I always admired Barbara Hershey and thought she was exceptional in Last Summer which I'd love to see again. I've never had any great desire to see Boxcar Bertha again so I won't be springing to buy this disc. However, as Twilight Time have sales every now and then, I might buy it one day.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I saw this film when it first came out. At that time Barbara Hershey was already Barbara Hershey but Martin Scorsese had not yet quite arrived. I always admired Barbara Hershey and thought she was exceptional in Last Summer which I'd love to see again. I've never had any great desire to see Boxcar Bertha again so I won't be springing to buy this disc. However, as Twilight Time have sales every now and then, I might buy it one day.

Last Summer is a shockingly extraordinary film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks