What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ American Honey -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm not certain what to make of this film.

Directed by Andrea Arnold, who has unique skills.

The only lead actors are Riley Keough and Shia LeBeouf. The majority, if not all of the other actors were pickups, and appear naturally untrained. Even the nominal "star," Sasha Lane, who plays Star, is new to acting.

The basic premise follows a group of late teens, who travel mid-America, seeking something -- not certain what -- selling magazine subscriptions at exorbitant rates to fund a never-ending list of faux charities.

The film is epic-like in length (162 minutes), and I'm not certain that 45 minutes could have been trimmed.

Here's where it gets interesting.

Shot primarily digitally, I'm thinking that the filmmakers were able to acquire the earliest of the Arri Alexa units, the G-1, which was originally used for a few of the monopack films (Lassie Comes Home, Dive Bomber, et al), where a lighter weight camera was necessary.

This extremely early use of digital photography, which was 1050i technology, allowed the film to be shot at the then standard aspect ratio of 1.37:1, and combined with three-strip footage to a dye transfer final.

In this case, American Honey is finished as a 2k DI.

The aspect ratio still works, but takes a few moments to get used to as part of a modern production.

The film has an overall raw aspect to it, and while that didn't work for me, it apparently works for many others, who have lauded and awarded the production.

But I'm also one of those, who has trouble finding the humor in Manchester by the Sea, which is a terrific film.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks