1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Abbott & Costello: The Complete Universal Pictures Collection - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Message #81 of 90 Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I don't want this to come across as disrespectful because it really isn't, and I don't mean to stir the pot, but I thought that the gargantuan announcement would be "We're releasing Africa Screams on Blu-ray" as opposed to"save and help us pay for the restoration of Africa Screams"
    I don't consider asking for money for a restoration project a "gargantuan announcement" .. just my two cents worth :)
    That being said, I hope this project will be successful and if you double the amount you're asking for, let's get Jack and the Beanstalk on Blu-ray too !
    And yes I am a fan of Africa Screams , and I appreciate Bob and 3D Film Archive for all their work.
    I just needed to get something off my chest !

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The announcement isn’t quite what I expected but it made sense when I thought about it.

Maybe it would help to think of it as a preorder. For $25, you get the restored movie on DVD, or for $35, you get it on Blu-ray. Those are about the standard list prices for boutique releases, just without the discounting we’re used to. And we all know physical media isn’t selling a fraction of what it once was, so the idea of an independent company restoring it first and then hoping to recoup the money over time in a rapidly changing marketplace might not be as dependable a route as it used to be. And then, on top of that, the movie is public domain so once the new restoration is out there, it will be pirated and stolen and that will make it harder to sell legit copies.

So I’m seeing this more as a preorder than a fundraiser, and a way for A&C enthusiasts to vote with our wallets to say this is a thing we want and put our money where our mouths are.

I have such fond memories of this movie even though I can barely recall it. But I remember that my great-grandfather gave me his VHS copy when I was a wee one because I laughed so much watching it with him. I must’ve been five or six. I can barely remember his face, and the memory of his voice is gone, but I remember the green sticker on the VHS tape.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I revisited Buck Privates tonight and had a sensational time with it. The boys were never better, the tunes were marvelous (and was glad the Andrews Sisters got Nick Castle to stage their numbers), and the movie was the perfect length.

Jack K, Gary16, Peter Keller and 2 others like this.
  4. Rodney

Rodney Cinematographer
    Supporter

First, I immediately pledged for the blu-ray, and heartily support this endeavor.

However, I think it should have its own thread, as it isn't really a part of Shout Factory's A&C Collection.

5. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Agree

6. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    Getting my set in 2 day's from Amazon $98.00. Can't wait ! : )

7. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I just had a fresh viewing of IN THE NAVY (1941) from the 2014 Trunk DVD set, and I just don't see the poor quality. It honestly looks fine to my eyes, and I just recently updated my prescription. We'll just have to agree to disagree regarding this title!

CHEERS! :)

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I didn't remember it being bad either. I watched the blu ray about 3 weeks ago and thought it look fine too. On par with Buck Privates and Hold that Ghost.

9. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I plan to start watching the set from the beginning in a another week or so. I'll share my thoughts then.

Gary "just thankful we have this release" O.

10. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    I’m about halfway through watching the bluray of “In The Navy” and so far it looks beautiful. Sharp, great contrast and black levels. Good audio too.