What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 2001: a space odyssey -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
Unfortunately, I just looked into the Blu ray from 2018 and after a quick run the new edition thrown into the garbage bin.

Of course the improvement of the sound, the clarity of the string bass for example in the Zarathustra fanfare is impressive. A considerable achievement is the improvement of the at that time problematic front projection on the faulty 3m screens, whereby apparently by the setting of windows the contrast now was improved. The sharpness has increased compared to the Blu ray version of 2007 and the disc runs at a high data rate. Of which "65mm elements" was scanned, I could not say. Warner had made confusing and contradictory statements about the original negative when the 70mm version of Mr. Nolan was launched in May. On the one hand, Nolan said that the original negative was "not touched". Other allegations report that for this version of the preparation, the negative was cleaned and repaired "for months". Further information refers to the fact that on the one hand a 65mm-Interpositiv of 1997 and on the other hand an unused (??) 65mm-Interpositiv of 1999 used that the legendary director gave shortly before his death in order.

In fact, the Nolan version contains scenes from the Interpositive of 1997, respectivelly printed from the 65mm Internegative made in the end from 2000 to the beginning of February 2001, which started the 70mm revival 17 years ago. On the other hand, you can see some improved scenes in the Nolan version from 2018, apparently from another interpositiv.
The overall impression was catastrophic: at the same time, one could observe a dripping of the details in the shadows and the details in the lights, comparable to reversal prints for the TV-scan in the 1970s. The colors were desaturated, the granularity of the double Dups unmistakable, the new light determination of the new 65mm Internegative struggled desperately to regain white-neutral surfaces of the spaceships against the blue discoloration of 2007 Blu ray, but failed completely.
Warner's Ned Price reports that the original negative is "in good condition according to its age", and that the slight color fading can be compensated for reprinting. That's right, you can compensate for fading in the analog printing to a small extent, but the new 70mm print has delivered on this promise compared to the perfect 70mm premieres by no means. It was surprising that the small control screens of the spaceships in the 70mm version of Mr. Nolan were retouched from the scratches of the 16mm rear projection. Fully analog? No.

Questions and suggestions for improvements made in May to Mr. Price and Mr. Vitali for improvements in the HD Home Cinema version from October onwards were not answered.

The latest Blu ray Edition differs once again from the Nolan version, but resembles it in the tendency of color loss and saturation. Thin black, clearly too bright, unbalanced and overloaded with new annoyances.
For the first time in this clarity, the ringing of blue shadows on hard contrast transitions occurs. It recalls that in the 1960s attempts were made to prevent dup negatives from OCNs in order to avoid atria. Apparently also the symptom of a defective halo-back layer in the processing of original negativs at Metrocolor?
The blue MGM logo at the beginning of the film is already drowned dark, followed by a much too bright and smoky eclipse with the movie title. The scene in the centrifuge with Gary Lockwood is also striking. the scene with the sterwardess and the floating pen. And in the end, the entire hotel scene shows itself in a single sinister disaster. Colorless the paintings in the background, and the once blue coat of aged Keir Dullea has turned into a dull black. Followed by a monolith (Dup scene), which again looks like cut-out of blue edges, the film ends with a Astral fetus hovering across the screen in brown sauce (rather than subtle blue).

Of course, like the old Blu ray from 2007, there are many bugs, for example the green illumination errors towards the edge of the picture. Partly also to green or blue colors in the clearly white spaceships. But this version looked comparatively cinematic and closer to the premiere prints than the now responsible of Mr. Nolan and Mr. Vitali versions that only make a farce.

Looking at the transfers of the large format productions SPARTACUS, MY FAIR LADY. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS or BARAKA, after all, there is evidence that one should have resorted to more competent agents.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY is now a lost movie...

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Nor really most other people;s impression of the new Bluray for that matter.
I'm going to guess it doesn't look as good as a 4K disc nor a 35mm no 70mm print -- so toss it in the trash

My AUS Steelbook floated in today -- quite nice looking package I thought. It may be awhile before I can watch the UHD
I've sampled just a about 20-30 minutes of the BD and It's easily better than any other pre-4K disc I've seen going back to the 1989-1990 Criterion LD

Last edited:
Real Name
Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
In a short time I would like to talk to the UHD. The comments on the Blu-ray Disc and the 35mm and 70mm versions are meant as foreword to the UHD discussion. There will be no doubt about it. Previous classic revivals on UHD showed massive changes to the original look.
Wait a little bit, please.

Real Name
Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
(I worked in the youth in film laboratories and commercial & program cinemas. Today curator in a small museuM and for a czech 70mm Filmfestival - currently preparing a dissertation on WideScreen film processes.)

By the way - it should be the same master for Blu ray and for UHD. The sides of the frame are now more cropped in this new version than in 2007, both (!) with Aspect Ratio 2,21 : 1.

As soon as I get the UHD, we make a comparison with the old 70mm print from Metrocolor, 1968 (now color faded).
Due to the blue color fringes one might suspect that in later printings from the original negative (possibly also on other printers than in 1968) the notches and splices in the negative were excessively stressed and as a result of the A / B printing a further overuse of the negative is preprogrammed. If it came to disgrace, there could be a high proportion of Dups in today's original negative - possibly up to 50% of the run length of the film (where already the Visual Effects of the mid-1960s had been produced via intermediates).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Unfortunately, I just looked into the Blu ray from 2018 and after a quick run the new edition thrown into the garbage bin.

Of course the improvement of the sound, the clarity of the string bass for example in the Zarathustra fanfare is impressive. A considerable achievement is the improvement of the at that time problematic front projection on the faulty 3m screens, whereby apparently by the setting of windows the contrast now was improved. The sharpness has increased compared to the Blu ray version of 2007 and the disc runs at a high data rate. Of which "65mm elements" was scanned, I could not say. Warner had made confusing and contradictory statements about the original negative when the 70mm version of Mr. Nolan was launched in May. On the one hand, Nolan said that the original negative was "not touched". Other allegations report that for this version of the preparation, the negative was cleaned and repaired "for months". Further information refers to the fact that on the one hand a 65mm-Interpositiv of 1997 and on the other hand an unused (??) 65mm-Interpositiv of 1999 used that the legendary director gave shortly before his death in order.

In fact, the Nolan version contains scenes from the Interpositive of 1997, respectivelly printed from the 65mm Internegative made in the end from 2000 to the beginning of February 2001, which started the 70mm revival 17 years ago. On the other hand, you can see some improved scenes in the Nolan version from 2018, apparently from another interpositiv.
The overall impression was catastrophic: at the same time, one could observe a dripping of the details in the shadows and the details in the lights, comparable to reversal prints for the TV-scan in the 1970s. The colors were desaturated, the granularity of the double Dups unmistakable, the new light determination of the new 65mm Internegative struggled desperately to regain white-neutral surfaces of the spaceships against the blue discoloration of 2007 Blu ray, but failed completely.
Warner's Ned Price reports that the original negative is "in good condition according to its age", and that the slight color fading can be compensated for reprinting. That's right, you can compensate for fading in the analog printing to a small extent, but the new 70mm print has delivered on this promise compared to the perfect 70mm premieres by no means. It was surprising that the small control screens of the spaceships in the 70mm version of Mr. Nolan were retouched from the scratches of the 16mm rear projection. Fully analog? No.

Questions and suggestions for improvements made in May to Mr. Price and Mr. Vitali for improvements in the HD Home Cinema version from October onwards were not answered.

The latest Blu ray Edition differs once again from the Nolan version, but resembles it in the tendency of color loss and saturation. Thin black, clearly too bright, unbalanced and overloaded with new annoyances.
For the first time in this clarity, the ringing of blue shadows on hard contrast transitions occurs. It recalls that in the 1960s attempts were made to prevent dup negatives from OCNs in order to avoid atria. Apparently also the symptom of a defective halo-back layer in the processing of original negativs at Metrocolor?
The blue MGM logo at the beginning of the film is already drowned dark, followed by a much too bright and smoky eclipse with the movie title. The scene in the centrifuge with Gary Lockwood is also striking. the scene with the sterwardess and the floating pen. And in the end, the entire hotel scene shows itself in a single sinister disaster. Colorless the paintings in the background, and the once blue coat of aged Keir Dullea has turned into a dull black. Followed by a monolith (Dup scene), which again looks like cut-out of blue edges, the film ends with a Astral fetus hovering across the screen in brown sauce (rather than subtle blue).

Of course, like the old Blu ray from 2007, there are many bugs, for example the green illumination errors towards the edge of the picture. Partly also to green or blue colors in the clearly white spaceships. But this version looked comparatively cinematic and closer to the premiere prints than the now responsible of Mr. Nolan and Mr. Vitali versions that only make a farce.

Looking at the transfers of the large format productions SPARTACUS, MY FAIR LADY. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS or BARAKA, after all, there is evidence that one should have resorted to more competent agents.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY is now a lost movie...

Not only NOT lost, but with multiple geo-sep layers of prime protection

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
(I worked in the youth in film laboratories and commercial & program cinemas. Today curator in a small museuM and for a czech 70mm Filmfestival - currently preparing a dissertation on WideScreen film processes.)

By the way - it should be the same master for Blu ray and for UHD. The sides of the frame are now more cropped in this new version than in 2007, both (!) with Aspect Ratio 2,21 : 1.

As soon as I get the UHD, we make a comparison with the old 70mm print from Metrocolor, 1968 (now color faded).
Due to the blue color fringes one might suspect that in later printings from the original negative (possibly also on other printers than in 1968) the notches and splices in the negative were excessively stressed and as a result of the A / B printing a further overuse of the negative is preprogrammed. If it came to disgrace, there could be a high proportion of Dups in today's original negative - possibly up to 50% of the run length of the film (where already the Visual Effects of the mid-1960s had been produced via intermediates).
Best njour JeanJea

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Bienvenue chez HTF Jean-Pierre. Je crois que quelques-uns ici ne sais que vous êtes probablement Francais? C’est vrai, ça?

Real Name
Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
It is as expected: The UHD shows the same symptoms, desaturations, color crossings, detail losses, blue color contours as well as faulty color correction (especially striking in the hotel scene, which still on the first laser disc twenty years ago, at least in this particular scene strongly the premiere copy from the original negative). Never before has this film looked so aged in color! Also, this edition is strikingly grainy for a transfer from an Eastman Color original negative. The 70mm premiere prints had had smaller grain, although the model shots were always as something grainier.

I watched in the evening again the Blu ray from 2007, and it is in the basic character of the edition of 2018 vastly superior.

"Regarding 2001, we will never again be close to the level of the original prints," said my colleague bitterly, as we left the Nolan 70mm demonstration in May prematurely. But the UHD is otherwise so disfigured.

Question: Who should restore the film after this jubilee year and on which material basis? Regarding the separations: I read the director's interview in the American Cinematographer when he spoke of Seps in the production of Visual effects. My question: which scenes are meant specifically? We looked at different visual effects sequences to which they are not applicable.
Or we speak on separation protection masters. But the Nolan version didn't used such materials, and I would agree such a decision.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It is as expected: The UHD shows the same symptoms, desaturations, color crossings, detail losses, blue color contours as well as faulty color correction (especially striking in the hotel scene, which still on the first laser disc twenty years ago, at least in this particular scene strongly the premiere copy from the original negative). Never before has this film looked so aged in color! Also, this edition is strikingly grainy for a transfer from an Eastman Color original negative. The 70mm premiere prints had had smaller grain, although the model shots were always as something grainier.

I watched in the evening again the Blu ray from 2007, and it is in the basic character of the edition of 2018 vastly superior.

"Regarding 2001, we will never again be close to the level of the original prints," said my colleague bitterly, as we left the Nolan 70mm demonstration in May prematurely. But the UHD is otherwise so disfigured.

Question: Who should restore the film after this jubilee year and on which material basis? Regarding the separations: I read the director's interview in the American Cinematographer when he spoke of Seps in the production of Visual effects. My question: which scenes are meant specifically? We looked at different visual effects sequences to which they are not applicable.
Or we speak on separation protection masters. But the Nolan version didn't used such materials, and I would agree such a decision.

What are you basing your comparisons on? Memory?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

You do realize your opinion is a vastly minority one here don’t you?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I believe what Jean Pierre means to say is that the 2001 4K/UHD disc is the absolute best the film has ever looked or sounded.

It’s just lost in the translation. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks