1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 12 Monkeys -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 19, 2009.

1. BillyFeldman

BillyFeldman Supporting Actor

Billy Feldman
    Michael, I hate to be the one to tell you, but every post you've made in response to me comes off as argumentative. I have no idea why, really, but if that's your deal, I'll stop responding to you. You have been completely defensive in every post in response to me - and what you note as "innaccuracies" is peculiar to you - others don't find my statements "innaccurate" at all.

2. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

Films should be put onto Blu-ray the way it was shot, I believe. Terry Gilliam didn't want 12 Monkeys to look like a James Bond film, so why alter the film to make it look like one on Blu-ray? Scrubbing of grain gave us The Longest Day and Patton, so I'd rather they just leave the grain alone.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben
    Quote:
    I understand why you might feel that way, but the posts (yours and mine) speak for themselves.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben
    Let's see if we can reboot this thread.

Obviously a lot of us are here because of interest in the Blu-ray of 12 Monkeys. Now, it's been a while since I saw the HD DVD, but I remember that it looked quite good. An important question was asked above for anyone who held onto their HD DVD and is debating an upgrade:

I'd certainly be interested in RAH's thoughts on this, or those of anyone else who's received the Blu-ray.

There was also a question above about a "truncated" commentary. Having never listened to the commentary on HD DVD, I'm not familiar with the details, but it sounds like a question that's worth attention.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    In the original DVD commentary, the audio commentary goes past the end of the credits. Or it should have: when the credits end the commentary is cut off, mid-sentence. I'm not sure if that was ever fixed in subsequent DVD release; I'm curious if the Blu Ray has the old, truncated commentary or if it includes those closing words.

6. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

7. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

The commentary runs into the blue "R-rated" tag at the very end of the film and didn't seem "cut-off" to me. However, I've never experienced the cut-off commentary. I did sound whole to me and not that Gilliam's commentary partner (forgot his name, mea culpa) was cut off in mid-sentence.

8. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

gary just put this up on DVD Beaver http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare11/12monkeys.htm
    ,and says this:

:"This came out in the now defunct HD-DVD format but this is surely a new transfer (although also VC-1 encoded) as the film takes up over 38 Gig of space on the dual-layered Blu-ray disc - surpassing the capacity of that other 1080P format."

9. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Reading that statement, I think he means encode not transfer.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Quote:
    Thanks. It sounds like they've fixed that problem.

11. seely

seely Auditioning

Andrew
    I love 12 Monkeys and enjoyed its presentation on blu-ray.

I think the PQ and AQ of the 12 Monkeys blu-ray is quite good and very accurately, but not perfectly, replicates Gilliam's and Pratt's intentions when they made the film. It is by far the best quality home video version of the film to date.

Some say that the image is soft, but I believe this to be the manner in which the film was originally shot.

The filmmakers used various forms of diffusion to "soften" the image. I believe the intention of shooting in this way was to connect the audience with the film's protagonist, played by Bruce Willis. He is jumping back and forth in time. He has been called insane and placed in a mental institution. He doesn't know up from down and is losing his grip on reality. His world is "hazy." All the disorientation that Willis' character goes through is nicely presented to the audience with the "hazy" visuals which are meant to connect the audience to the mindset and emotions of Willis' character. His reality is "hazy or diffused," thus, our view of the film is "hazy or diffused."

To dislike the "soft" look of the film is to miss a vital theme within the film and to lack a certain emotional connection to the film. It is a misunderstanding of the film. The filmmakers shot the film this way because it deepens the audience's relationship with the film and the protagonist. I for one love their visual choices and applaud their techniques.

Could a new scan and encode look better? Possibly, but it will never look like a film shot cleanly (without filters) on today's film stock or on high definition digital video because it was shot on 90's film stock with diffusion filters. That is why I believe that fans of the film should be quite satisfied with its current presentation on blu-ray.