What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Matador -- in HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Matador is a film that's difficult to classify.

For all appearances, it might be an odd "buddy" picture.

And it is, but that's not what it is.

It stars Pierce Brosnan of Bond fame as a tired hit man going over the edge, but it really isn't about who gets whacked or how. Brosnan's performance is so beautifully controlled that many critics have noted it as the best of his career.

The other leads, Greg Kinnear and Hope Davis are "every" couple, leading a relatively dull existence trying to get by in Denver.

But they aren't really what it's about.

What it appears to be is a character study of the three, and after their paths cross, how Brosnan and Kinnear become interdependent upon each other in totally different ways.

I really like this film.

Now to the software: As a Miramax product, now Weinstein via Genius, I was extremely trepidatious placing the HD disc in my Toshiba player. The history of Miramax product in SD in the recent past has not been a good one, with major films such as Cold Mountain and Gangs of New York being among the worst looking discs on record.

It was with great pleasure that I found that the problem was NOT coming from Miramax, but most likely from the post-production facility chosen to master their films to DVD.

The Matador is a stunning HD disc!

With much of the film photographed in Mexico, with bright colors and high tonalities everywhere, this is yet another disc to show off a high end system. A sequence at a bullfight reminded me at once of Rouben Mamoulian's magnificent 1941 Technicolor Blood and Sand, with the matador's cape in pure magenta, surrounded by some of the most sumptuous cinematography ever to grace a screen.

What is the bottom line on The Matador?

This is a terrific film that cannot easily be pigeon-holed as far as concept, and as an HD disc shines as one of the most beautiful yet released.

Both film and HD disc come Highly Recommended.

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I couldn't agree with you more Robert. This was without a doubt one of the best films released this year IMO, with just a wonderful, wonderful performance from Mr. Brosnan (although I thought that Hope Davis stole every scene she was in). I loved every minute of "The Matador", and I'm happy to hear that it looks superb on HD.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You know this one really surprised me how much I liked it. Just rented this the other night and now have it on my "what HD-DVDs I want for Christmas list"...:)

Glad to hear the PQ/Audio is top notch! :emoji_thumbsup:

The Matador is a really good film.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Has anyone renting HD-DVDs had playback affected by scratches yet?
Worse on combos?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

Not so much rentals as just some slight fingerprints on my own collection. I'm VERY careful on this stuff too. But yeah, my HD-A1 is rather sensitive to anything on the disc that wasn't meant to be.

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Has anyone else been plagued by the slow load times with the Weinstein discs? I watched the Matador over the weekend and didn't have a single problem with it. I've read other forums w/people complaining about the extra slow load time and freezes.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched both "The Matador" and "Wolf Creek" within a day of each other and the load time for each disc was extremely long - more than 4 minutes on my HD-A1. Since both titles are Weinstein products it seems that, from my experience at least, they have some issues. My Warner/Paramount/Universal HD-DVDs typically take no more than 70-80 seconds from disc insertion to first image off the disc.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

I tried both disks in my HD-Add on and they loaded within seconds. I did notice some problems with the menu refresh but all functions worked as expected. As I have sold my XA1, I did not have an opportunity to test it on the Toshiba. When I receive my XA2, I will repost my results. I certainly think it is a problem with Weinstein's coding of the disks. Hope they fix it soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Except for a slow load time, I didn't have a problem with this disc. As far as the disc presentation, the visuals of the disc presentation matches what I remembered from my theater experience with this film. Keeping the film's color scheme in your thought process, this is a splendid disc to showoff the benefits of a HD DVD presentation. A favorite 2006 film of mine.

Crawdaddy

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
i just got the film and skipping through it was very promising and i'm looking forward to seeing the film in full length soon.

one thing i have to say is very bad: the trailer! it's in 1080i on the disc and it's a badly made upconvert from the sd source. i don't mind 1080i but please use a true hd source. if you don't have one, put the trailer in sd on the disc. but this mess is unacceptable!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks