What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Admirable Crichton - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Admirable Crichton, released in the Colonies in 1957 as Paradise Lagoon is a class comedy. Think Upstairs, Downstairs meets Lord of the Flies, the original Blue Lagoon and Gilligan's Island.

It's a sweet British production that I'd only seen once before, and it looked nothing like Twilight Time's new Blu-ray.

When I'm shocked by the look of a mid-50s Eastman Color production, there's either something very right or very wrong with it, and in this case it's all to the positive.

With the exception of the Columbia logos, which to my eye look a bit thin, the entire film is represented in such a way that I had to stop and think if there might have been a three-strip production after the nominal end date c. 1955.

The Admirable Crichton looks so superb, that it perfectly mimics a dye transfer print out of Technicolor London, based upon the most perfected exposed Eastman stock of the era.

It was photographed by Wilkie Cooper, probably best known for his work on the Columbia Harryhausen productions, along with Stage Fright.

If the film were not a charming UK comedy of manners, I would still be recommending it simply for the quality of the image harvest.

AC features Kenneth More, Diane Cilento (six years before Tom Jones), Cecil Parker and Sally Ann Howes (who took over My Fair Lady on Broadway for the original Eliza).

Many will also notice the face of John Le Mesurier, a terrific British character actor, although few will know his name.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Highly Recommended

RAH

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Thanks for the recommendation, Mr. Harris. I've been interested in this film since it first appeared appeared on Twilight Time's "coming soon" roster. According to IMDB (which of course is not exactly a reliable source) this film was shot 8 perf in Vista Vision. Did it look that way to you?

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks for the recommendation, Mr. Harris. I've been interested in this film since it first appeared appeared on Twilight Time's "coming soon" roster. According to IMDB (which of course is not exactly a reliable source) this film was shot 8 perf in Vista Vision. Did it look that way to you?

It does, but strangely, no VVLA credit - of any kind. And presented at 1.66.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It does, but strangely, no VVLA credit - of any kind. And presented at 1.66.
Thanks! That makes me even more eager to see this. 1:66 is not a typical ratio for Vista Vision. However, seeing as this master came from Sony, which is prodigious in its research and exacting in its application and mastering of elements, it's probably correct, though as you implied, a bit of a head scratcher.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
166 is within the range that vistaVision was designed to handle I think. It was also a favorite in the UK and Europe, so possibly it was framed for that.

I ran it in 1960 in high school (lunch-time movies in 35mm). We ran flat about 166 as I recall, largely because it worked pretty well for everything that we got. We typically didn't get older movies produced in 133 by that time.

This is a delightful and very thoughtful film. I liked lead actor Kenneth More very much, and this is my favorite of his roles. Second favorite was the Ghost of Christmas Present in Scrooge.

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I picked up The Admirable Crichton at Twilight Time's close out sale (looks like copies are still available) and watched it last night. It's a thoroughly enjoyable comedy with a somewhat bittersweet ending. In the accompanying booklet, Julie Kirgo calls it as a cross between Downtown Abbey and Gilligan's Island, and that strikes me as a pretty accurate description.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks