What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Where has this one been hiding, that it never received a Blu-ray release?

I'll admit that I had concerns regarding what this might look like, especially had it received restorative efforts, which apparently it has not.

Howard Deutch's 1986 coming of age production appears to have a recent scan, with no apparently massage. It looks very much like a well lit 1986 film should look, and there's the key.

Nary a problem in sight, and a sweet film to boot.

Colors, densities, black levels, grain structure all seem pleasantly reproduced. Nice work from Paramount.

Reminds one and all how quickly time flies. Ms Ringwald is 52.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely

Recommended

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
This is one of those films I keep meaning to watch but haven't (I do have a copy or two on DVD knocking about, though so I might finally give it a crack). I've seen a good few of the Brat Packs and even watched Sixteen Candles a few months ago with the SO.

HDMS Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl Mulder
Better than Paramounts other movies in the "Presents" line up? Because so far I'm not impressed by Paramount.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And my iTunes copy that I paid $4.99 for just upgraded to 4K/UHD/Dolby Vision for free. Sweet!

Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I was disappointed in the Arrow 16 Candles release. It has less detail than the previous version. Nice extras tho.

It's not really less detail, though. The older Universal disc was overly sharpened within an inch of its life to give the "impression" of detail but there's actually more organic detail in the newer master. It's also much more filmic and lacking the excessive DNR of the Universal disc. I think it's quite beautiful.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's not really less detail, though. The older Universal disc was overly sharpened within an inch of its life to give the "impression" of detail but there's actually more organic detail in the newer master. It's also much more filmic and lacking the excessive DNR of the Universal disc. I think it's quite beautiful.

Yeah I know that’s what all the reviews are saying but I’m going by my own eyes and to me, the new transfer looks worse than the previous one. Not that it’s bad in any way. Just I prefer the previous one.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Well if there's one thing the last few years have taught everyone is that watching the movie has to be the worst way to decide
how it looks. When you have screen caps, capsaholic, bitrate graphs and you tube and all that high tech stuff -- you know the one thing you just can't trust are your eyes watching your own TV.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And my iTunes copy that I paid $4.99 for just upgraded to 4K/UHD/Dolby Vision for free. Sweet!

At this point, I'll probably just go "digital" for this and eventually get the iTunes 80's bundle that comes w/ it when that bundle drops in price again -- since I hadn't really been "collecting" in this format before, that bundle seems perfect for someone like me....

Paramount really shoulda released this Blu-ray long ago when physical media was still very popular and streaming hadn't matured yet. Now, it has to compete w/ a 4K "digital" that's sometimes priced as low as $5...

_Man_

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]
Paramount really shoulda released this Blu-ray long ago when physical media was still very popular and streaming hadn't matured yet. Now, it has to compete w/ a 4K "digital" that's sometimes priced as low as $5...
All may be valid and true, but the fact that Paramount has finally begun this program is something to be praised and encouraged.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
When you have screen caps, capsaholic, bitrate graphs and you tube and all that high tech stuff -- you know the one thing you just can't trust are your eyes watching your own TV.

For the record, THESE old eyes have owned and seen both and I still feel that the new transfer wins by a mile. Thanks for the snark, though! ;)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
For the record, THESE old eyes have owned and seen both and I still feel that the new transfer wins by a mile. Thanks for the snark, though! ;)

No snark -- OK a little

No problem with you liking the newer transfer better on your system.
Tino liked the old disc on his system -- sounds like he's seen both as well

Whose right? You both are of course.

Are you seeing different things (i don't know), do you like different things (probably), does disc A look the same on TV A and B (I don't know). Telling someone (or at least implying it) they're wrong or not seeing what they're seeing and why they're wrong seems wrong to me esp since you aren't watching the same presentation. Telling someone why you like Disc A better than Disc B on your system isn't

Last edited:

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
Well if there's one thing the last few years have taught everyone is that watching the movie has to be the worst way to decide
how it looks. When you have screen caps, capsaholic, bitrate graphs and you tube and all that high tech stuff -- you know the one thing you just can't trust are your eyes watching your own TV.
I don't agree with you as my eyes tells me whether I like the video or not.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I don't agree with you as my eyes tells me whether I like the video or not.

And obviously I agree with that. I don't agree with trying to downplay Tino's opinion as if he's wrong.

For the record I prefer the Arrow to the older disc as well, but if Tino was at my house and we were watching the movie I'm going
to play the older disc. After it's over we'd probably at least sample a few scenes of the newer and older disc on my system and see if he still has the same ranking, Does he still prefer the older disc or is his system and mine presenting it differently? Maybe, maybe not, but I still wouldn't think his opinion is incorrect

Glenn C.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
And obviously I agree with that. I don't agree with trying to downplay Tino's opinion as if he's wrong.

For the record I prefer the Arrow to the older disc as well, but if Tino was at my house and we were watching the movie I'm going
to play the older disc though after it's over I'd probably at least sample the newer disc on my system and see if he still has the same
ranking.
Was that person trying to do that or are you reading more into the post then was intended?

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Was that person trying to do that or are you reading more into the post then was intended?

Maybe so. But the post that says I like it because I see more detail is followed by, "It's not really less detail, though. The older Universal disc was overly sharpened within an inch of its life to give the "impression" of detail" certainly seems to implying you're not seeing what you think you seeing (or worse). It's not like Tino is a novice at this or hasn't seen the discs -- he just prefers the older version unless I'm misreading that as well.

I don't have a problem when people disagree with me about what we're seeing or prefers something different.
It;s not a binary or zero sum issue

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I don't agree with trying to downplay Tino's opinion as if he's wrong.

It wasn't given as an opinion, though. Look, I don't THINK Tino and I have any problem between us and I have NO issue with his liking the older disc over the new one. It really doesn't affect me or anything else in the grand scheme of things. Opinions are fine and you can have subjective (TV related) reactions to color, contrast, black level etc. To unequivocally say in a forum like this, however that:

It has less detail than the previous version.

and present it as an objective fact for people reading it and making a decision about the release is not the same thing at all. Detail present in an image is measurable and is either there or it isn't. I had every right to counter. Tino was perfectly capable to counter THAT with the fact that he prefers the older disc. No issue and no problem between us (and if I'm wrong hopefully we can take it offline.)

And I hope we can put this to bed soon as it's seriously derailing the thread about PRETTY IN PINK.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks