What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Girl Crazy – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner Archive is doing it again. Readers continue to complain that they don't go back and release enough old, black & white films. And this is the result.

They've gone back to 1943 for a Tommy Dorsey musical, directed by Norman Taurog, with a musical number (I Got Rhythm) directed by Busby Berkeley.

One would suppose that a film photographed by William H. Daniels and Robert Planck, would have some life to it, and they'd be right.

Lovely gray scale, nice blacks, a bit low on grain, and I don't know why. It's always looked a bit odd. Not bad. Just different. Could be the way it was shot.

Original neg was lost in that fire. All from a fine grain with the exception of one reel from a dupe neg, as the fine grain was also damaged.

Assisting in the acting department, June Allyson, Nancy Walker, Guy Kibbee, Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland.

Image – 4

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 2.0 - Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Definitely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Robert, just wondering if you noted the curious strobe effect in the credits. Always there. Thought maybe this Blu would be different. It's not. I don't think you can call it edge enhancement. It's just something is out of whack. As for the rest - was very pleased with the handling of this problematic element. But agree, the B&W photography has always looked 'different' from other Metro product of this generation.

What I wouldn't give to have the 'other' two Rooney/Garland masterpieces in hi-def too, along with a slew of others still MIA and waiting in the wings. Can't wait for Without Love and Pat and Mike. Can Adam's Rib be too far behind?!?!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc yesterday and I'm very pleased. Another excellent Blu-ray disc from Warner Archive.

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I first saw this in 35mm at the TCM Classic Film Festival a few years ago. This was a true hard-core audience; they applauded when Guy Kibbee appeared on screen !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks