What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Beetlejuice - in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I may be the only one to notice this, but Tim Burton's film tend to be a bit weird.

Beetlejuice fits right in with much of his other work.

And that's a good thing, as it's a terrific piece of entertainment.

As to how it looks and sounds in 4k, I'll apologize in advance to those who might like to not give up their Blu-rays.

Beetlejuice in 4k is never anything less than astounding.

Overall resolution is extraordinary. Colors leap off the screen. Grain structure is perfect.

Have I noted that it's a bit of a weird film?

For those with 4k, and also those who have submitted to the wonders of Dolby Atmos, sorry, but you'll need one of these.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Definitely

Highly Recommended

RAH

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does the included Blu-ray have a new transfer, or is it the same one from the previous edition? @Clay_E and @Josh Steinberg and I were just discussing that over in the preorder thread.

Thanks!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Does the included Blu-ray have a new transfer, or is it the same one from the previous edition? @Clay_E and @Josh Steinberg and I were just discussing that over in the preorder thread.

Thanks!

Sorry, didn’t look, and probably wouldn’t be able to ascertain. Already gifted. I generally don’t examine the BDs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think - and I don’t own it so I can’t confirm - that the original Blu-ray was one of Warner’s Dolby Digital 5.1 titles. If so, the new one should be lossless if it’s a new master.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think - and I don’t own it so I can’t confirm - that the original Blu-ray was one of Warner’s Dolby Digital 5.1 titles.

I do have it and I can confirm that. It is also one of those really early Warner Blu-rays which goes directly to playing the feature when you enter it instead of going to a menu first, which I find annoying.

The only bonus features on it are three episodes of the animated series and the trailer. It's disappointing that such a dynamic visual film, which would certainly lend itself to interesting behind-the-scenes material, has never been treated well on disc in that department. The 4K release was Warner's opportunity to correct that, and since they didn't, it will probably never happen. I assume that the 4K is likely to be its final release on physical media.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I do have it and I can confirm that. It is also one of those really early Warner Blu-rays which goes directly to playing the feature when you enter it instead of going to a menu first, which I find annoying.

The only bonus features on it are three episodes of the animated series and the trailer. It's disappointing that such a dynamic visual film, which would certainly lend itself to interesting behind-the-scenes material, has never been treated well on disc in that department. The 4K release was Warner's opportunity to correct that, and since they didn't, it will probably never happen. I assume that the 4K is likely to be its final release on physical media.

WB has had 12 years to give this film the proper release it deserves. Repacking the 20th Anniversary Edition for the last 12 years is just inexcusable. They only hope of this movie getting a long over due Special Collector's Edition is for another company such as (Shout/Scream Factory) to do it like they did with the animated series.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They only hope of this movie getting a long over due Special Collector's Edition is for another company such as (Shout/Scream Factory) to do it like they did with the animated series.

I doubt that will happen. Beetlejuice is too valuable to WB to license it. If Warner was going to let Shout have it, the UHD release would be coming from them. Since Warner is releasing it themselves, I think that is a sign that they want to keep it in their catalog, even though they don't want to do anything new in terms of supplements. I'd love to be wrong.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's a shame the studios mostly don't update the blu-rays in these combo packs. It would definitely get more to buy the new package, even if they're not yet 4K ready. But to just include the same old blu-ray that was already released and most have already purchased is a non-starter.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It would definitely get more to buy the new package, even if they're not yet 4K ready.

100%. I have the new Back to the Future steelbooks on order even though I have no expectation that we will be going 4K because the press release indicates that a) the Blu-rays are remastered and b) there are new extras. So that means it's an upgrade for me over my current set even if I can't use the 4K discs.

For Beetlejuice, I don't get anything new if I buy it, because the 4K is a non-issue for me and there's nothing else new.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I doubt that will happen. Beetlejuice is too valuable to WB to license it. If Warner was going to let Shout have it, the UHD release would be coming from them. Since Warner is releasing it themselves, I think that is a sign that they want to keep it in their catalog, even though they don't want to do anything new in terms of supplements. I'd love to be wrong.

How lucrative to Warner might a Criterion release be? I could see it happening - esp. if Criterion goes UHD next year.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Yeah, as one of my life long favorite films, I’m consistently bummed by the lack of a special edition for this title. It’s not even like it’s NOT a popular movie. It did great upon its initial B.O. and has remained in the public consciousness ever since.

I AM getting this, though, to get the best PQ possible because I’m into that. And maybe the fabled “Documentary for the Recently Deceased” will finally get finished and released.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I AM getting this, though, to get the best PQ possible because I’m into that.

Oh for sure. It is such a visually dynamic film. I would have no qualms about upgrading whatsoever if I had a reasonable expectation of getting a 4K setup in the near future. Since I don't expect to do that, it's useless to me without an upgraded Blu-ray. But I'm sure people who can use the 4K will probably lobe it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think - and I don’t own it so I can’t confirm - that the original Blu-ray was one of Warner’s Dolby Digital 5.1 titles. If so, the new one should be lossless if it’s a new master.

The 2008 Blu-ray release did have lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio. However, as with many early Warner Bros Blu-rays, the disc defaulted to the lossy Dolby Digital track unless you manually selected TrueHD in the menu. This was doubly frustrating because the disc would auto-play as soon as you inserted the disc without a main menu screen. Worse, the pop-up menus didn't work if the movie was paused. So, you'd have to start the movie, change audio formats while the first scene played, and then chapter skip back to start the movie over again.

Most WB Blu-rays from the time did this, perhaps most notably The Dark Knight. It was a terrible inconvenience.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The 2008 Blu-ray release did have lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio. However, as with many early Warner Bros Blu-rays, the disc defaulted to the lossy Dolby Digital track unless you manually selected TrueHD in the menu. This was doubly frustrating because the disc would auto-play as soon as you inserted the disc without a main menu screen. Worse, the pop-up menus didn't work if the movie was paused. So, you'd have to start the movie, change audio formats while the first scene played, and then chapter skip back to start the movie over again.

Most WB Blu-rays from the time did this, perhaps most notably The Dark Knight. It was a terrible inconvenience.

And of course they are still occasionally pulling that trick with UHDs which do not default to Atmos, like with The Matrix -- and their original Blu-ray for that film also defaulted to Dolby Digital!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
How lucrative to Warner might a Criterion release be? I could see it happening - esp. if Criterion goes UHD next year.

NOT.
GONNA.
HAPPEN.

And no, I don't mean "artistically": Criterion's recent return to mainstream Hollywood movies (sorry, those anything-in-the-pot '99-'00 days of "Spinal Tap" and "Armageddon" went out when studios started caring about DVD) is more fueled by the free OOC "orphan" titles floating around MGM, UA and Paramount, and right now, it is safe to say Warner very, very, very, VERY much owns Beetlejuice.
You don't have to see the Broadway musical to know that Warner is currently literally staking the house on it.

Shout Factory, ermmm...hard to tell. Classic cult seems to show up there from all over.
Warner's still guarding their "next franchise" like a junkyard dog's bone, though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not meant as a “let them eat cake” comment, but if I did not have a 4k panel, I’d be running 4k through a basic 4k player to my HD gear.
I did that for a while, but didn't notice any difference. The Samsung 4K player was kind of glitchy, so I switched back to my Sony blu-ray player. The 4K player is currently in storage.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I did that for a while, but didn't notice any difference. The Samsung 4K player was kind of glitchy, so I switched back to my Sony blu-ray player. The 4K player is currently in storage.

Both my Sony 4K player and my Philips 4K Player (both older models) show improved picture quality over the blu-rays that were included in the 4K disk package when the 4K was played at 1080p.

I tested both players with Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk and there was better color and clarity IMHO on the 4k (to 1080p) than on the blu-ray.

The Samsung player was bleeding edge and was a not ready for anytime player based on reviews.

If nothing else, I would be sure to get 4K/bluray combo disc packs to future-proof if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks