What's new

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
On the Panny 820 Vertigo playewd without a hitch, later on the Oppo 203 it frooze at the 46m; 16 s timecode. I took the disc out cleaned it with Windex and a linen cloth and put it back. It plays perfectly. One wipe and it’s gone.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Received a replacement set and it froze up again (VERTIGO 4K) at the same point (during first dialog scene between Novak and Stewart is his apartment). I cleaned the disc carefully but still froze, so I am returning both sets and wait a while before re-purchasing and try to reach somebody in home video.

My copy froze and pixilated at that same spot. I took the disc out, cleaned it with this Mobile Fidelity disc cleaner I have, and then it played back perfectly.

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if the fact that you actually have to touch the disc to get it out the packaging is causing problems

BTW- I have the Oppo 203

Grady

Agent
My copy froze and pixilated at that same spot. I took the disc out, cleaned it with this Mobile Fidelity disc cleaner I have, and then it played back perfectly.

I don't know for sure, but I'm wondering if the fact that you actually have to touch the disc to get it out the packaging is causing problems

BTW- I have the Oppo 203
Mine played fine on my Oppo 203 after I cleaned it. I removed the blu rays from my box making it much easier to access the 4k discs.

Joe S

Second Unit
I have the Oppo 203 and after I read about the VERTIGO problem I updated the 203 firmware. The disc pixelates around 46 minutes and freezes at 49 minutes. I can hit fast forward or next chapter and it will resume play, but I haven't played it to the end,
I'll try cleaning the disc. We need to have someone with two different BD players try it in each. It looks like a disc defect to me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It seems to me there are too many freezes on the vertigo disc to think it’s anything but a manufacturing defect. I will definitely be waiting the the bugs to shake out on this set before buying.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, so far it seems that the majority of people with freezing issues are using Oppo players. It may not be a disc defect. Has anyone had this problem on another brand of machine? The disc played perfectly on my Panasonic.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Well, so far it seems that the majority of people with freezing issues are using Oppo players. It may not be a disc defect. Has anyone had this problem on another brand of machine? The disc played perfectly on my Panasonic.

No issues with 4K UHD Vertigo disc on my Panasonic.

I have a less expensive Sony UHD player that I could check it on.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
No problem playing Vertigo on my Panasonic. The movie looks great, of course. This was at least the third time I’ve seen it (the first was the 1983 reissue in a theater), but I found the movie more compelling in this viewing than I had previously. I was struck by how much better Vertigo is than The Birds, a two-dimensional girl-meets-boy story in which, halfway through, birds start attacking people.

Joe S

Second Unit
Well, what do you know?... I wiped down the VERTIGO disc with some window cleaner, then rinsed it with water and dried it off. Now it plays fine through the 45 to 50 minute section on my Oppo.
Interesting that Oppo players freeze at the same place but "cleaning" the disc fixes it.
Not sure what this indicates. Always looking for the root cause.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No problem playing Vertigo on my Panasonic. The movie looks great, of course. This was at least the third time I’ve seen it (the first was the 1983 reissue in a theater), but I found the movie more compelling in this viewing than I had previously. I was struck by how much better Vertigo is than The Birds, a two-dimensional girl-meets-boy story in which, halfway through, birds start attacking people.

For me, Vertigo has never quite lived up to the "hype." I've seen it a half-dozen times, and I always end up wanting to like it more than I actually do. It's a fine film, but I find North by Northwest to be far superior, and my all-time favorite Hitchcock movie.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, what do you know?... I wiped down the VERTIGO disc with some window cleaner, then rinsed it with water and dried it off. Now it plays fine through the 45 to 50 minute section on my Oppo.
Interesting that Oppo players freeze at the same place but "cleaning" the disc fixes it.
Not sure what this indicates. Always looking for the root cause.

Maybe everyone w/ that issue touched enough of the outer edge of the disc playback side -- given how the packaging works -- and that timecode vicinity just happens to be around the outer edge (on whichever disc layer)?

Of course, it could also be whatever smudge/dirt/substance that gets on a certain specific area of the disc whether due to the manufacturing process or the (tight) packaging itself (or both).

This kind of issue seems common enough w/ 4K discs (probably due to lower fault tolerance of the tech, especially w/ triple-layer, BD100 discs) although it may not have been quite as widespread w/ any specific title before...

_Man_

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
For me, Vertigo has never quite lived up to the "hype." I've seen it a half-dozen times, and I always end up wanting to like it more than I actually do. It's a fine film, but I find North by Northwest to be far superior, and my all-time favorite Hitchcock movie.
I understand that reaction to Vertigo, but the third time was the charm for me. I like North by Northwest, but it feels like a calculated crowd pleaser, like a greatest hits album. I’m not saying it’s his best, but Rebecca is my favorite Hitchcock movie. Joan Fontaine . . . Laurence Olivier . . . Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. . . .

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I understand that reaction to Vertigo, but the third time was the charm for me. I like North by Northwest, but it feels like a calculated crowd pleaser, like a greatest hits album. I’m not saying it’s his best, but Rebecca is my favorite Hitchcock movie. Joan Fontaine . . . Laurence Olivier . . . Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again. . . .

Yes, Rebecca is fantastic as well. Still, for me, North by Northwest ticks all the boxes, calculated crowd-pleaser or not. The story and script are both great, the performances are outstanding (Grant, Mason, Landau, and Saint all just sizzle), and the cinematography is a character in and of itself. Really though, ALL of Hitchcock's films are good to great in their own ways. Choosing a favorite is like having to pick the best pearl out of a basket full of them.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Just received confirmation from Universal for the replacement of Psycho disc.

And I have not. Used the form, sent three e-mails, no response. I will have a "few words about" Universal if I don't get a replacement disc. I was one of the first to e-mail. Then two subsequent e-mails, all with all the information they asked for. I didn't even get the form response from the form.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Check your spam filter. The response is not from Universal but rather a third party that has been contracted to handle to logistics of the replacement.

Response came from
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks