What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those of you who are aware of my penchant for quality audio, will understand when I state that Universal's new Back to the Future 4k set is worth the price of admission (currently street at $42) for the Dolby Atmos alone.

I sampled the trilogy, and as expected, Universal has done a magnificent job of re-mastering these films to 4k, but the addition of Dolby Atmos, and it's overall affect on the sound stage knocks this release out of the park. Overall resolution is wonderfully rendered, along with a proper sheen of film grain. Colors are dead-on perfect.

Add to that the commensurate number of bonus features, including some major examples previously released, makes this a bargain at $14/film plus the films on Blu-ray with extras and yet another bonus disc.

They've thrown in everything except a toaster oven and a set of steak knives.

There are numerous films that register as "classic" cinema not because of any serious greatness, that hold a place in our hearts for pure visceral entertainment value. This is one such series.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray – Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Mine didn't come with a toaster or steak knives, but I did get this nifty Black & Decker Hydrator!

0a4c1b30dc2fc324947a97a7aa3ec503.jpg

The pizza was only so-so. We're going to try freeze-dried fried chicken in it tonight!

Mark

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mine didn't come with a toaster or steak knives, but I did get this nifty Black & Decker Hydrator!

0a4c1b30dc2fc324947a97a7aa3ec503.jpg

The pizza was only so-so. We're going to try freeze-dried fried chicken in it tonight!

Mark
In that vein, here is a Pizza Hut commercial for their Back To The Future Part II 'Solar Shades'.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But seriously...Universal has been releasing these about every five years or so now.

At this point, what will be left for them to use to lure buyers again in 2025? :laugh:

By this point, I swear that the Eric Stoltz footage is about all that's left.

That, or a fully functional hoverboard.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
By this point, I swear that the Eric Stoltz footage is about all that's left.

I don't think we will ever see that released in a more substantial way than the couple of shots that are already in the making-of documentary. While I understand the curiosity around it and would probably watch it if I'm wrong, I'm totally fine with that. It's not like he was ever the first choice. Fox was the first choice and he was unavailable until he wasn't. So we ended up with the movie they wanted us to have from the beginning.

There is (or will be again, post-COVID) the stage musical in London, which could be professionally filmed like Hamilton was. But I think that's probably several years down the line if they decide to do it because obviously they'd like it to have a substantial run first. If it was ever filmed and released, it would probably be released on its own rather than as a supplement to another edition of the film. Universal also filmed and released the London production of Billy Elliot on Blu-ray, and it is a standalone release separate from its film inspiration. I would certainly buy a Blu-ray of the Back to the Future musical if it ever came out, but the show is in the very beginning of its life cycle right now. I think it is important for the show to establish itself as its own completely theatrical entity for a while before there are any discussions about releasing a taping of it.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I was about to ask for the hoverboard but Obsolete Man beat me to it. What a boon it would be for those of us with failing limbs. Would the authorities let us use it in a supermarket? Anyway, I don't know why some savvy company hasn't released already, with or without the 4K tie-in

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
After fiddling with the discs in the incompetent "disc book" packaging last night, I have to admit that I would consider another purchase if they would put the discs in keep-cases with a tray and hub to keep them safe. This is why I wanted the steelbooks, but I couldn't find an undamaged copy of that set so got the regular one instead.

It seems almost impossible to keep taking these discs in and out of the cardboard holders without scratching them/getting fingerprints on them/damaging them in some other unintentional way. Whoever came up with this inept packaging should never be allowed to design another home media release ever again. It doesn't matter how nice the book looks if the discs can't be secured safely.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
After fiddling with the discs in the incompetent "disc book" packaging last night, I have to admit that I would consider another purchase if they would put the discs in keep-cases with a tray and hub to keep them safe. This is why I wanted the steelbooks, but I couldn't find an undamaged copy of that set so got the regular one instead.

It seems almost impossible to keep taking these discs in and out of the cardboard holders without scratching them/getting fingerprints on them/damaging them in some other unintentional way. Whoever came up with this inept packaging should never be allowed to design another home media release ever again. It doesn't matter how nice the book looks if the discs can't be secured safely.

I’m considering buying a pack of paper CD sleeves to put the discs in before sliding into the books. Might this help?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I may use my old 25th Anniversary set packaging. That had trays with hubs, IIRC.

You recall correctly. However, it only has space for 6 discs (3 discs for the movies + 3 digital copy DVD-ROM discs), which still leaves one disc in the 4K set without a corresponding holder because the new edition comes with a bonus disc, in addition to the 4Ks and new BDs.

I thought about that, but I wanted to gift the old set to a friend of mine when I got the new one. It didn't feel appropriate to give her the old discs in the new packaging. If I was keeping both sets, I would probably switch them as you suggest. Since I'm not, it felt to me like the old discs really ought to go to my friend with their original packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks