What's new

A few word about...™ Steamboat 'Round the Bend (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fox is being exceedingly gutsy in a number of their recent releases as they mine their vaults.

Their Will Rogers Collection is a perfect example.

The folksy, slow talking actor, who died in a plane crash in 1935, leaving his final two films to be released posthumously, is virtually an unknown to modern audiences.

Hopefully, enough people will take a chance and add this wonderful set to their libraries to make the effort, inclusive of clean-up work, financially profitable for the studio.

In bringing older (read: nitrate) films to DVD, Fox is a step behind some others in the industry, as decisions were made decades ago to copy their nitrate to safety film, and not to keep or donate the originals. Therefore, very little original material survives. This leaves an enormous job for their archival staff, who constantly seek early elements that might have survived, and must then go through the requisite work and expense to bring the films back to a proper viewable state.

My personal favorite of the group is Steamboat 'Round the Bend, a wonderful slice of southern life directed by John Ford. Hopefully, his other Ford directed production Judge Priest will appear in a second collection.

Not to all tastes because of their old fashioned cinematic styles, the films are nonetheless quality, classic reminders of American life in a quieter, easier time.

The collection of four films is rounded out by Life Begins at Forty, Doubting Thomas, and Rogers' final work, In Old Kentucky.

In an interesting work ethic, Mr. Rogers chose to do several films back to back, followed by months of travel and general time off.

The Rogers Collection comes recommended, with a tip of the hat to Fox for taking the chance to bring these wonderful films to the public after doing quite a bit of work on them to make them "pretty." Steamboat looks better than I ever recall seeing it, and comes Recommended.

RAH

M

Member 323668

Many thanks Mr. Harris for endorsing the "Will Rogers Collection"! Certainly "Steamboat Round the Bend" -directed by John Ford- is the most "popular" of the four films, but I really enjoyed all four films.

George Marshall's "Life Begins at 40" and "In Old Kentucky" can be considered not only as entertaining films of the 30's, but also as real history lessons.

Considering the age of the films and the problems with the film elements you described, the technical quality is highly satisfactory.

I also hope this very "special" collection finds many supporters and sells well enough to see the "Will Rogers Collection Part Two" very soon, hopefully including John Ford's "Judge Priest" and "A Connecticut Yankee in a King Arthur's Court".

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Will Rogers was not only Oklahoma's favorite son, but one of the greatest political comedians of all time. He and Wiley Post died 71 years ago this Tuesday. But his legacy will clearly live forever.

If you are ever in Claremore, Oklahoma, his museum is a must-see:

http://www.willrogers.com/index3.html

I think I'll spin those DVD's now.

- Steve

Charles H

Screenwriter
DOUBTING THOMAS contains a terrific feature-length documentary on Will Rogers' life. It's worth the price of admission alone.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this set a few weeks ago and I thought it was wonderful; a beautiful slice of Americana. I hope Fox sees fit to release more of Rogers' work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks