a dumb question about wattage and sound.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I know this is probably a dumb question but I'm wondering if you have a lower watt system does it sound better if it gets turned way up? and with higher wattage can your system still sound good if the volume is a little lower? thanks.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Depends on the system of course but in most cases no. You have harmonic distortion to deal with when you increase the volume to a point where it sounds scratchy or distorted.

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

If you are worried about the low wattage most receivers have I wouldnt worry to much. Me being new to HT & receivers I did worry. However, i bought a denon avr1602 which is only rated at what 70 watts/channel and anything above the 0 db level was LOUD(even too loud) and this coming from a old pair of pioneer floor speakers. By the way,I've never heard those pioneers sound so good & now am ruling out buying a $1000 pair of floorstanders. I guess you put a good receiver along with good thick wire and it will do that.....

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The catch here is that no one that's replied has addressed the primary criteria, which are: sensitivity of the speakers attached and distance from the listening position.

70wpc can be plenty if you're running Klipsch speakers at 90+dB sensitivity at 1w input. If you're running more typical speakers at about 87 or 88dB, you have roughly half the power available to you, and as such 70wpc would be not nearly enough power to drive the system "loudly".

Listening at 10 ft from the speakers vs listening at 5ft from the listeners also (effectively) cuts your available power in half for dynamic (cone based) speakers.

So there isn't a cut and dry answer as its a function of speakers and listening distance.

Regards,

5. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I'm confused John, but is 3 db a big deal. If I get my speakers up to 60-80 db it's loud enough. I have a small room. 2500 cu. ft.

6. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I have some JBL radiance (really nice) speakers, that are crystal clear in the highs. I beleive they are 90 db. Just for grins, I hooked up my KLH surrounds(don't laugh)that were 88db, to the front, and OH MY WORD! There was a HUGE difference in not only volume(at the same level) but clarity. (btw, I have an Onkyo...555 I think...it's only got DD though, no DTS[​IMG] ). From my experience, yes, 3 db does make a difference.

7. RicP

RicP Screenwriter