What's new

A couple questions regarding progressive scan DVD players (1 Viewer)

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Hi guys! I am new to the forums and fairly new to home theatre as well. I am in the process of setting up an inexpensive home theatre. I am having some problems with my dvd player's picture quality though. I thought that maybe someone could help me out with some information.

I have a Panasonic 47" widescreen HDTV monitor(model PT-47WX53). I was using an old RCA dvd player that was not progressive scan. I had the player hooked up to the tv via Monster component video cables. I decided to upgrade to a progressive scan player, so I bought a Harman Kardon DVD22.

The problem I am experiencing is that when I hooked the player up to my tv using the component cable, my movies looked a lot fuzzier and washed out compared to when I was using my old RCA player. I decided to try a different player so I hooked up a Pioneer DV-563A and saw a slight improvement, but the progressive picture still wasnt as sharp or clear as the interlaced picture.

What I am wondering is if something could be wrong with my equipment (tv needs adjustment, faulty cables, etc...), or if I am just not understanding the whole point of progressive scan. I thought that it enabled me to receive a much sharper and clearer picture. I appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this subject. I just want to know if the progressive scan player is worth it, or if I should just stick to my old RCA player. Thank you all for your help!!!!

Joshua Janoski

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Hi guys! I am new to the forums and fairly new to home theatre as well. I am in the process of setting up an inexpensive home theatre. I am having some problems with my dvd player's picture quality though. I thought that maybe someone could help me out with some information.

I have a Panasonic 47" widescreen HDTV monitor(model PT-47WX53). I was using an old RCA dvd player that was not progressive scan. I had the player hooked up to the tv via Monster component video cables. I decided to upgrade to a progressive scan player, so I bought a Harman Kardon DVD22.

The problem I am experiencing is that when I hooked the player up to my tv using the component cable, my movies looked a lot fuzzier and washed out compared to when I was using my old RCA player. I decided to try a different player so I hooked up a Pioneer DV-563A and saw a slight improvement, but the progressive picture still wasnt as sharp or clear as the interlaced picture.

What I am wondering is if something could be wrong with my equipment (tv needs adjustment, faulty cables, etc...), or if I am just not understanding the whole point of progressive scan. I thought that it enabled me to receive a much sharper and clearer picture. I appreciate any comments or suggestions regarding this subject. I just want to know if the progressive scan player is worth it, or if I should just stick to my old RCA player. Thank you all for your help!!!!

Joshua Janoski

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Joshua,
Do you have progressive enabled on your dvd player?

The difference when I flipped the switch is HUGE.

Regardless you do have your TV Calibrated with Avia or VE right?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Joshua,
Do you have progressive enabled on your dvd player?

The difference when I flipped the switch is HUGE.

Regardless you do have your TV Calibrated with Avia or VE right?

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Hi guys. Thank you so much for your replies.

In regards to Shane's and Allan's posts, yes I do have progressive enabled on my player. The Pioneer has you go to the settings menu and choose between interlaced and progressive. As far as using Avia or Video Essentials no I have not used them to calibrate my television. That sounds like a very good idea though.

Interlaced video does look better than progressive for some reason. Also, my RCA player seems to have the best interlaced picture out of all three players (RCA, Pioneer, Harman Kardon). You would think that the RCA being the cheapo player would be the worst, but thats not so in this case. I am using a Monster component video cable. It's the cheapest one they make so I dont know if that could pose a problem. I thought even the lowest grade Monster was better than the cheap cables.

I guess I can try to use a different component cable that I have and also I should purchase Video Essentials and calibrate my television. Are there any other suggestions or comments? I appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what the problem is.

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Hi guys. Thank you so much for your replies.

In regards to Shane's and Allan's posts, yes I do have progressive enabled on my player. The Pioneer has you go to the settings menu and choose between interlaced and progressive. As far as using Avia or Video Essentials no I have not used them to calibrate my television. That sounds like a very good idea though.

Interlaced video does look better than progressive for some reason. Also, my RCA player seems to have the best interlaced picture out of all three players (RCA, Pioneer, Harman Kardon). You would think that the RCA being the cheapo player would be the worst, but thats not so in this case. I am using a Monster component video cable. It's the cheapest one they make so I dont know if that could pose a problem. I thought even the lowest grade Monster was better than the cheap cables.

I guess I can try to use a different component cable that I have and also I should purchase Video Essentials and calibrate my television. Are there any other suggestions or comments? I appreciate everyone's help. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what the problem is.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Those cables should be perfectly fine. Definitely get VE or AVIA for calibration. In addition make sure the players are set to 16/9 output. Most progressive players also have options for 3/2 pulldown, needed to adapt 24fps film based material to 30fps (frames per second) video, and you might try experimenting with them.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Those cables should be perfectly fine. Definitely get VE or AVIA for calibration. In addition make sure the players are set to 16/9 output. Most progressive players also have options for 3/2 pulldown, needed to adapt 24fps film based material to 30fps (frames per second) video, and you might try experimenting with them.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
That is an odd problem, as I have a Panny as well (47wx49) and the interlaced picture cant even compare to the Progressive on my set. Never.

But calibrate with avia or VE and that should help as well.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
That is an odd problem, as I have a Panny as well (47wx49) and the interlaced picture cant even compare to the Progressive on my set. Never.

But calibrate with avia or VE and that should help as well.

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Thank you all again for your replies. I am going to order a copy of Video Essentials and try calibrating my tv. I know that VE has a lot of different test patterns so are there any suggestions as to what ones I should use to calibrate my particular setup? I just dont want to start messing with stuff that I shouldn't be messing with.

Also, does anyone here have a Pioneer DV-563A player? The reason I ask is because I wondered if maybe there are some settings on the player that I dont know about that could improve my picture. I have the player set to 16:9 and progressive. I dont think there is anything else I can change. Again this help is greatly appreciated!!

Joshua

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Thank you all again for your replies. I am going to order a copy of Video Essentials and try calibrating my tv. I know that VE has a lot of different test patterns so are there any suggestions as to what ones I should use to calibrate my particular setup? I just dont want to start messing with stuff that I shouldn't be messing with.

Also, does anyone here have a Pioneer DV-563A player? The reason I ask is because I wondered if maybe there are some settings on the player that I dont know about that could improve my picture. I have the player set to 16:9 and progressive. I dont think there is anything else I can change. Again this help is greatly appreciated!!

Joshua

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Hi guys. Sorry for the multiple postings. I promise that this will be my last one. I just wanted to know one more thing.

What should I look for in the picture when trying to determine if my television is properly displaying a 480p picture? I ask this because Panasonic told me that there might be something wrong with my television. I'm just wondering if maybe I dont know enough to understand how the picture should look.

What should I look for when differentinating between 480i and 480p? SHould the picture be crisper? How about color? Is it affected? I just dont want to look like a total dummy and call out a repair guy just to find out that there is really nothing wrong. All I know is that faces on the screen look fuzzy and harder to make out than with interlaced and the color seems more washed out. Thank you for your help!!!

JoshJAN

Auditioning
Hi guys. Sorry for the multiple postings. I promise that this will be my last one. I just wanted to know one more thing.

What should I look for in the picture when trying to determine if my television is properly displaying a 480p picture? I ask this because Panasonic told me that there might be something wrong with my television. I'm just wondering if maybe I dont know enough to understand how the picture should look.

What should I look for when differentinating between 480i and 480p? SHould the picture be crisper? How about color? Is it affected? I just dont want to look like a total dummy and call out a repair guy just to find out that there is really nothing wrong. All I know is that faces on the screen look fuzzy and harder to make out than with interlaced and the color seems more washed out. Thank you for your help!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks