A Couple of Questions About My Rear Projection Mitsubishi...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam Scott, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Adam Scott

Adam Scott Stunt Coordinator

Hello all! New to the boards and would like to kick off by posting a few inquiries about my 55" Medallion HD Series Mitsubishi rear projection display....if anyone could offer any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, I believe this screen is merely HD-ready, not capable of actually displaying HD images, so the graphic that comes up through my DVD player's connection to the screen reads "480i" (or 480p if I change the DVD player to Progressive Out, a problem I will get to in a minute)....would this be correct, that it is saying "480i" because its standard def? Now, with regard to my DVD player (a Panasonic DVD-RP56), I have been running discs without the Progressive Scan engaged (the connections to the Mitsubishi from this player are being made via Component cables to my knowledge; this would be better than S Video, yes?) because with the Progressive Scan on, the image actually looks worse than when just running via interlaced.....is this actually normal? I have read that sometimes progressive doesnt mean a whole lot depending on the DVD deck and that interlaced can actually look cleaner, and thats what I am finding on my setup.....with Progressive Scan turned on, on the DVD player, the image actually looks a bit blurrier, darker and muddier during certain scenes of films; I have heard this could be considered "normal" for Progressive Scan to not work to the best advantage for 480i signals....I was wondering if this could be so in my setup, and if I should just then leave the screen on "480i" and not switch to Progressive Out....

Also, I am having a problem with this screen, all of a sudden (well, it seems to have started when I hooked the subwoofer up to my system, which resides against the wall that the TV is on, so I think the vibrations from the sub had something to do with this....) where the image is actually "bending" on the screen -- a 16X9 DVD, with the letterboxing and all, will "bend" and distort and then suddenly go back to normal -- and then do it again. The only way to remedy this is to turn the TV off and then on again, and sometimes I need to do this several times until I can watch a disc fully to the end with none of these "bending/distorting" problems. What is this, and is my screen totally shot? Can it be repaired?

If anyone could assist with any of these issues, it would be a great help. Thanks in advance, and hope to see you guys around the boards! [​IMG]

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

HD ready means no HD tuner. It is fully capable of displaying HD signals from satellite and cable boxes and dvd players.

Regards

3. Adam Scott

Hello Michael!

Thanks for the reply. How would the screen display HD images from DVD players and cable boxes? Arent these standard definition sources?

4. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The RP56 historically has one of the better 480p images out there. There is likely something wrong with the player or the TV set up if the 480p from the machine does not look good.

YOu much calibrate the 480p signal for the TV to look good with it. A test disc will work.

Move the sub away and see if things return to normal.

Otherwise ... possibly the convergence board is going on the TV and a repair will be needed soon ...

Regards

5. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

HD will go into your set via component inputs.

Is your set a 4x3 set or 16x9 set?

When a HD signal is detected ... on a 4x3 set ... it goes to a auto 16:9 mode.

Regards

6. Adam Scott

Thanks Again, Michael...

Strange that you say that about the Panny having a better progressive image historically....I am finding that the picture gets a bit "muddier" when the progressive out is switched on; but I have also read on countless other sites that sometimes interlaced looks better believe it or not. Without calibrating the video to extremes, is it possible that interlaced just looks better on my setup?

As for the TV suggestion, would the "bending" phenomenon I am explaining really be the convergence board? Would you know what kind of repairs I would be looking at --- a tech could come to the house to look at a screen this large, yes?

Thanks for all your help!

7. Adam Scott

"HD will go into your set via component inputs."

Isnt component analog for STANDARD def video?

"Is your set a 4x3 set or 16x9 set?"

It's a 55" 16X9 Mitsubishi rear projection set.

"When a HD signal is detected ... on a 4x3 set ... it goes to a auto 16:9 mode."

This is a widescreen set...

8. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Component takes both 480i/p and 1080i signals on HD ready sets. Unless there is some weird proprietory plug just for HD decoder box.

Move the sub away and see what happens ...

(I am not a repairman ... so repair issues are a "WAG.")

Regards

9. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It would seem to be the case ... 480i looks better. But a proper set up of the TV for the RP56 would make the 480p look better since it has superior processing than the TV.

Regards

10. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

Adam,

I had a similar problem with my 55" Mitsubishi. At the time I was using a 5- disc Onkyo DVD changer and when I tried to switch on the progressive scan mode, it made the picture look blurry, dark and muddy, just as you described. So for me as well, the interlaced mode looked much better. When I posted the question here, I was told that the cause of the issue is most likely "the TV's internal line doubler is better than the one that the DVD player provides". So I just left it in interlaced mode and the picture looked great to me. When I later upgraded to my current, and more expensive, Denon 2200, I once again tried progressive scan mode, just to see if the result would be the same. Wow, what a difference between the quality of the players! The picture finally looked better in progressive mode. So now I just leave it on progressive.

11. Adam Scott

I understand Michael; thanks. Right now, interlaced looks better probably because like you said, the monitor is not ideally calibrated to take advantage of progressive signals; I will address some of these issues with the gentleman below as he shared some more insight on this, as well. Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

12. Adam Scott

"I had a similar problem with my 55" Mitsubishi. At the time I was using a 5- disc Onkyo DVD changer and when I tried to switch on the progressive scan mode, it made the picture look blurry, dark and muddy, just as you described."

Hello Shaun and Thank You For Your Help!

Indeed; the picture, through my Panny's Progressive Out, like on your Onkyo, makes the image appear "muddier" than just running the interlaced....

"So for me as well, the interlaced mode looked much better. When I posted the question here, I was told that the cause of the issue is most likely "the TV's internal line doubler is better than the one that the DVD player provides"."

Interesting technical analysis; I never knew what the actual reasoning was, but what I knew was the TV's interlaced mode simply made the image appear crisper than engaging the DVD player's progressive circuits.

"So I just left it in interlaced mode and the picture looked great to me. When I later upgraded to my current, and more expensive, Denon 2200, I once again tried progressive scan mode, just to see if the result would be the same. Wow, what a difference between the quality of the players! The picture finally looked better in progressive mode. So now I just leave it on progressive."

So it's most likely the quality of the DVD player and its progressive scan abilities? I had thought it may have been this -- that the Panasonic's progressive circuitry wasnt all that great, yet Michael above says its surprising to hear because the RP56 is supposed to be known for its progressive imagery...hmmm. You are probably right; a better deck may make the progressive signal look better. I am glad you cleared some things up for me....I am thinking of eventually getting a HD or Blu ray player, if the format wars end, so this Panny may go to the bottom of the rack.

Let me ask you this: For the meantime, should I just run the player with progressive out turned off for now because it looks better to my eyes?

13. Shaun

Shaun Second Unit

Adam,

When I was using the Onkyo player, I had my television calibrated using Avia to the best of my ability. So it definitelly had to be an issue with the DVD player and not the TV, because when I switched to the Denon, the picture improved dramatically.

I would leave it on whatever mode looks best to your eyes, in this case interlaced.

14. Adam Scott

Thank you again, sir. Interlaced it should be.

15. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I have a 55 inch Mits. that I just had ISF calibrated by Gregg Loewen and I can't recommend it enough. You truly can believe how much better your Mits. can look. It is totaly worth the money. I just got done watching the remastered Star Wars film and I've seen that move a hundred times and I saw detail I've never seen before. I saw people standing in the background I've never seen before!

16. Adam Scott

Thanks for your input, Douglas. I shall look into ISF calibration...

In the meantime, does anyone else know what can be causing my "screen bending" problem, which is happening on and off, where it looks like the top and bottom of the image are being "bent" and "warped," and then it jumps back to normal? Is this the convergence board?