What's new

A beginners bang for the buck??? (1 Viewer)

EdwardN

Auditioning
I'm brand new to this and am trying to determine what my 500 bucks or so can do for a home theater system. (do the theater in a box thing or buy seperates?)
I need dvd/cd-player as part of this system.
I'm recovering from surgery like the guy in the Sony commercial and just moved into the new home with no electronics, yikes!
Thanks guys.
Ed N

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you up your budget a bit, a home theater in a box is probably your only option since you need the speakers, receiver, and DVD player. The JVC and Kenwood HTIB have received good press around here.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Sony has a couple of nice systems for the money. The one in your price range is the DAVS500. It is a single disc player, DD & DTS decoding, AM/FM, and SACD. It comes with all of the speakers plus subwoofer and has two inputs and an output.
It retails for $599, but you could probably find it on sale closer to $500. Sony is also offering a mail-in rebate for 5 free DVDs too.
Good luck,
DJ

Vin

Supporting Actor
The Kenwood HTB-504 for $425 shipped. Figure another $150 for a DVD player. That brings you in at under $600 for an entire system....not bad.
The receiver alone in this system, the VR-507, sells for ~$300 when bought separately and it offers an upgrade path that the one piece receiver/DVD players can't....something to consider.
Good luck,
Vin

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i second Bryan's HTD Level I + Kenwood + Panny suggestion. it'll turn out about the same price, but sound better and be a better stepping stone for future upgrades.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks