What's new

90% of SmartTV owners are now connected (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
It seems like less than a year ago we posted that only a small percentage of SmartTV owners were connected. I guess they all go Wi-fi or dropped CAT6 cable to the TV.

According to IHS 90% are connected to the Internet a hefty 80% are using accessing content via OTT using services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video. 86% of Roku owners and 79% of Apple TV owners claim to use these devices to watch video from the internet.

Some 75% of smart TV owners were also own a smartphone, and 65% a tablet. This introduces the second screen opportunity for content providers.

Amazingly, 73% of US consumers said that they are not interested in buying a smart TV in the next 12 months. I find that interesting because almost every HDTV sold now comes with SmartTV capabilities. It begs the question on if consumers actually know what Smart TV is?

Is anyone here buying a HDTV with SmartTV capability? Or is SmartTV a prerequisite feature for a HDTV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The very definition of "Smart TV" is flawed.

It means apps. I got apps on my phone. I got apps on an Android tablet. I got apps on an Ipad.

Who cares where the apps are.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Its very handy. I wouldnt be surprised if more people, especially casual users or those looking to simplify their lives, look for this feature. The wife uses it, I dont. She reads the news, streams netflix, checks the weather, streams pandora, skypes or checks-in on facebook. No AVR, no blu ray player, no phone, no ipad, no other box besides the 65" display itself. Its easy to use and a simple alternative to using the main gear. She knows the theater system can do it better but for casual viewing, or casual listening, the smart plasma works great for her.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I just plugged my Panny plasma into a wi-fi extender about 10 days ago. Now I can watch Netflix in 1080p, which I couldn't do with my Sony 3D Blu-ray player. Other than that, I've installed a couple of 3D apps and that's it.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Stephen_J_H said:
I just plugged my Panny plasma into a wi-fi extender about 10 days ago. Now I can watch Netflix in 1080p, which I couldn't do with my Sony 3D Blu-ray player. Other than that, I've installed a couple of 3D apps and that's it.
What do you think of the 1080P Netflix quality compared to the same title on BD?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I haven't done a side by side comparison, but it looks miles better than what I was getting out of my Sony 3D BD player.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Personally while I love tecnology I could care less about apps on a TV! All I want the tv/display to do is to display a high quality video image! We do not need everything to be connected to the internet! This just creates more and more items that can be hacked into and future problems. Look at how cameras are ending up in gaming consoles, HDTV's and now there is talk about cable boxes. WiFi conductivity is going crazy and that is another security risk in itself. I do not care to have more and more wired to the internet, I feel I am pushing it if I ever run a cat6 cable to my home theater gear. Can you imagine hackers making viruses for cable boxes, smart tv's and even to attack surround sound recievers hooked up to the internet just because they can.

Back to the subject :)

I seriously doubt that 90% of smart tv owners have there smart tv's hooked up to the internet. I am basing this on about 4 1/2 years of seeing customers homes and seeing how so many do not usually use what they have to it's potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks