What's new

86" LG or 85" Sony 850 series? (1 Viewer)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Shopping for something in the 80"+ size. The only place with these TVs on display is a local Best Buy. They also have the 82" Samsung. I am upgrading from an older Sharp 75" 1080p set.

Anyway, based on size and reviews I was thinking the LG 86" for around $2500 but the home theater expert at BB is pushing the Sony 85" for $3000, says he can discount it a little. Is telling me the LG is really only a 60 hz panel, although specs says it's a 120 hz panel, like the Sony.

Reviews on both seem similar, both saying that they suffer some from deep blacks in lit rooms.

They also have a Samsung Q6 82" for $2600 open box.

Looking at the DirectTV signal, split into 50 TVs is really no help, looks pretty crappy on all the sets.

Suggestions anyone for a large TV for under $3000?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I know nothing about the difference in these TVs, I only know my experience with LG, which is the almost impossibility to find anyone who will repair that brand locally, and who can get parts from that company.

We live very close to Toronto in a metropolitan area. When we needed repairs, the only authorized dealer was an hour away and charged a distance fee.

We have sworn off LG for everything from dishwashers to electronics. To put it bluntly, they can go $&@% themselves!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would stick with the Sony or Samsung if the LG is only a 60Hz panel. I have seen the Sony's and they have a nice picture and so do the Samsungs and LG tv's. But IMHO the 60hz is a deal breaker in my book. I would take one last look at the Sony and Samsung and see if they will hook up a blu-ray player to ether one if possible to make your final decision. If it is slow at the time you may find a associate that might do that for you. I too was looking at TV recently and almost purchased an LCD/LED tv sale and I was looking at Samsung, LG and Sony. But I decided to stick with getting the Sony Sony XBR55A9F OLED 4K TV. The QLED tvs have a bright picture but the Sony's sure have a nice balanced picture and this is coming from someone that owns a Samsung 4K UHD TV.

20181007_144850aa.jpg

Reactions: PMF

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Thanks, I am considering the Sony 900 series as well. The LG 86" uses a 120 hz panel. The 60 hz panel is only in the smaller sizes of that series. Some others have also suggested the Samsung Q8 82" TV for exceptional picture quality or even the 82" NU8000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks