What's new

80's Movies(Comedies &Horror) (1 Viewer)

D

DAN NEIR

I've been reading all the threads about recent releases and how either bad they are or how they have no extras. So let me get this straight as far as John Hughes goes...
Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pretty In Pink, Some Kind Of Wonderful,She's Having A Baby, Planes,Train&Automobiles and The Great Outdoors have NO EXTRAS at all? That's a bad job by those studios. I know Ferris Bueller at least has an audio commentary track. How come they got Hughes for this and not his other movies?
Other teen flicks that I liked from the 80's also have little to nothing?
Real Genius(no extras?)
Can't Buy Me Love(NO ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN?!)
Better Off Dead, Secret Admirer,Porky's Revenge,The Sure Thing(Is this out?),Last American Virgin(Is this even out?)and I could go on.
As far as horror movies go, I enjoyed the Nightmare box set and the Evil Dead special eds but how come the Friday the 13th's are given such poor treatment? I mean I appreciate that they are anamorphic but would a few extras have killed Paramount? A few interviews, some deleted scenes, maybe a commentary track.
Movies I am awaiting in this genre include...
Night of the Demons 1, 2, and 3, the rest of the Friday the 13th's, April Fool's Day(Finally due out next month),Night of the Creeps(with the alternate ending please!) and others will come to me later on.
It's too bad fans of these films aren't getting what they want.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Night of the Demons 2 is one of my favourite horror movies and I wait with bated breath for an announcement of it being released.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Maybe extras dont exist or the studio thinks these films dont warant extra material as they cost money.
The least they can do is drop the prices for such movies. I seeen some of the movies you mentioned going for $24-$27!!

MGM is in bad financial trouble AND STILL releases such films in the $10-$17 range.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
With respect to Weird Science, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles: these titles were released in the very early days of DVD, and the studios were just interested in finding a way to cash in on their old laserdisc transfers without having to put forth any real effort.

According to rumors throughout this year and last, all three are in preparation by Universal for a release with anamorphic widescreen and Real, Actual Extras. No announcements yet, but we'll see...

As for the others you've mentioned (esp. Can't Buy Me Love), there's no good excuse for modern studio behavior other than laziness and/or a complete misunderstanding of the market for 80s movies-- the people buying these are huge fans of them, or they wouldn't be bothering! As for any Paramount title: for that studio, extraless DVDs have been the rule rather than the exception in *all* genres, not just 80s movies (unless you count their Trek titles).

Allow me to put my vote in for a Jim Carrey classic, Once Bitten! I'm eagerly awaiting MGM to put that one out in anamorphic widescreen so I can do away with the ratty old VHS tape, whose dance scene has been rewound so many times it's starting to look bad...

[Edited to change the order of "rule" and "exception". Duh!]

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Aaron, in regards to Paramount and their DVDs, I believe you meant "rule not the exception."

If something is "extraless," meaning no extras, than that has indeed been the rule for Paramount.

D

DAN NEIR

A few more I'd like to add,
for comedies, Just one of the Guys, Uncle Buck, and ESPECIALLY VALLEY GIRL!!(one of my all time favs)
for horror, Popcorn, Subspecies 1-4 w/ extras, Unnameable II, Child's Play(ANAMORPHIC!!) and the one I've been waiting for EVIL TOONS
oh and even though this title isn't a comedy or a horror film, where the hell is the anamorphic Karate Kid??

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Dan, I have the unrated DVD of Evil Toons in my hands in glorious widescreen. Monique Gabrielle looks so good :D . I have this movie on VHS and Laser Disc, too. The DVD is put out by Retromedia Entertainment

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... if they actually let AB have the prints. In the case of Midnight Madness, Buena Vista apparently only let Anchor Bay have a pan & scan transfer instead of the promised widescreen. It was quite annoying.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Horror films that need to be released-
Trick or Treat -classic heavy metal horror with Gene Simmons and Ozzy Osbourne
Bad Dreams -anyone remember this gem about a Jim Jones-like cult leader come back to life? I do.
Phantasm 2 and 3 -deserves some respect.
The People Under The Stairs -Wes Craven, need I say more?
The Hills Have Eyes -see above
Silent Night Deadly Night -"You're safe, kids. Santa Claus is.... gone."
Waxwork -kind of a tribute horror film, but still good, with an interesting cast.
Comedies that have been overlooked:
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane -It's out in R2 and R4 but not here?!? C'mon.
Night Patrol -Most underappreciated low-budget comedy of all time.
Three'o clock High -Great high school film that rivals Heathers.
Eddie Murphy Raw -Best filmed stand-up comedy performance of all time-period.

JavierS

Stunt Coordinator
How about:
Dolls- one of the first Killer doll flicks that inspired The Puppet Master
Waxwork 2- a fun horror/time travel flick, that payed homage to sci-fi/horror flicks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks