What's new

72Hz 3:3 using HTPC (1 Viewer)

PhillJones

Second Unit
I've been looking into getting an HTPC. I know that AnyDVD automatically sets your screen refresh to 72Hz but do I need some software to properly take care of 3:2? Does DVD player software normally know how to repeat every 5th frame to smooth out the judder? Also, are there any players that use Cadence based de-interlacing and not merely flag based? Since many DVDs are miss-flagged.

Cheers,
Phill

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
No software uses cadence detection. One of the current downfalls of HTPC.

Other than that, the pulldown issue will be handled relatively audotmatically based on refresh... but the fram reconstructions are based on flags-- bad flags, good luck. The player will fall back on bob or weave.

-vince

PhillJones

Second Unit
That is an issue. I've read that most DVDs have bad flags. Maybe I should reconsider this HTPC thing and just get a multistandard plasma TV.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Plasma is still a fixed panel display device, even if it syncs to multistandard it is scaling internally- and you run up against potential problems with internal scaling (which can be just as problematic as no cadence detection in the PC realm). That's the whole point of external scaling, to have the control and the better processing- and HTPC just offers some nice economic ways of doing so.

I can honestly say I have never had any problems with my HTCP- on video Sourced stuff like TV I sometimes get a little jagged de-interlacing, but nothing anyonehas ever mentioned-- and everything I have put in that is "film sourced" plays wonderfully.

If you're really interested in HTPC scaling and cadence detection, you should read up on going SDI. Folks get stand alone DVD players as a transport, and modify them to pass the mpeg data directly off the player into the pc via SDI. Then you can use a program like Dscaler or one of the other ones that are bundled with the SDI cards to do deinterlacing, and has cadence detection. It can sometimes be processor intensive- but in terms of bang for the buck scaling for DVD to HD output, right now it rules.

-Vince

PhillJones

Second Unit
Cheers Vince,

I'll look into it. I guess with HTPC, I can always upgrade componants as they get released or the price comes down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks