7.1 surrounds mono,bi or dipole?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JeffMcC, Jun 8, 2004.

1. JeffMcC

JeffMcC Extra

making speaker selections for a 7.1 set up. Have Yam RX-V2400, bought the svs pb2-isd sub and love it.
    My room is 12'x21' (Ok so I got a BIG sub for the size..)

I'm pretty set on Axioms so I'm looking at the m60 towers for fronts, and m2ti for rears. For 7.1 I was going to go with the qs-8for the surrounds (quad pole designs seems kind of cool), however I'm considering the fact that especially for music/sacd listening I may want to go with something that will localize the sound more. Could do a monopole and just get 2 more m2ti...

Given I'll use the Yam to matrix the back for regular cd listening, but have to go with the 5.1 multi channel for sacd, should I jst stick with the qs8 quad poles anyway??

Thanks!

BurgerJeff

2. mark-h

mark-h Extra

My set up is almost exactly what you describe that you want with the exception that I have the m80's in front, M3Ti's in the rear with SVS 20-39 PCi sub.

The QS8's are perfect to me for all my listening but exceptionally great for movies.

I personally like the effect of the quad surrounds for music as I don't have to sit in one position to hear them. I found the quad speakers allowed me to still hear the discrete sounds from a listening "area" instead on "spot".

But then, this is just my opinion...

Mark

3. JeffMcC

JeffMcC Extra

Hi Mark,

How big is your room? Mine's 12'x21'.
    Here's what I had planned before rethinking due to smallish size of my room:

M80 fronts
    QS8 surrounds
    M3ti backs
    VP 150 center

Just got SVS PB2-ISD sub (very cool!)

I was thinking of dropping down to the M60 so as not to put them in a small room where they don't have enough space to breathe. Also was a bit concerned about the 4 ohm load (if I went with that set-up I would have 4, 6, and 8 ohm loads on various speakers) just didn't seem optimal.

Any guidance from your experience??

BTW; sounds like QS8s are a good choice due to my narrow room