What's new

$600 Budget - 5.1 System (1 Viewer)

Jason=F

Grip
I have about a $600 budget for a 5.1 speaker system. Majority of used will be for TV/DVD's in a 19'x12' room (hardwood floors) w/ 8' ceilings. WAF factor is high, the room is modern looking so speakers need to be black or mahogomy in color.

I haven't decided on the receiver yet, but it will be something along the lines of a Pioneer 1016 or Onkyo 604, regardless it should be enough to power this system and leave room for a future speaker upgrade.

I've had my eyes on the HSU Research Performance 2 Package (Ventriloquist 6 speaker surround set w/ 1 STF-2 Subwoofer). This package is a 6.1 package (which is needed), but it is in my price range and I like the idea of the center channel having two 4x6's.

I like the idea of smaller R-L speakers that I can hang on the wall, but I wouldn't be apposed to something larger that would require stands (keep the WAF in mind).

We are coming from basically nothing at this point. I've had mix'n match systems in the past with more power (Carver HR-895), but only Dolby ProLogic.... so I think anything will be an improvement really.

Any other speaker sets I should be keeping in mind? Thanks...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A system from SV Sound will be above your budget but well worth the money. Recently Elemental Designs has started offering home systems. Their package builder has a complete system for $650.

-Robert

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Including a sub, there aren't many systems at your disposal for 6.1 that will meet the $600 limit IMO. You can check out the Mordaunt Short 300 series 5 speaker package at here for $449 which come in maple or silver and are fairly small. Then you can add a sub like the Onyx X-Sub for $199 or one of the HSU offerings around that price. It should be better than the VT-12 in a room that size, which is probably a bit too large for smaller satellites.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Vanns.com Electronics-expo.com (among others ) are closing out the Infinity Primus line. You can buy a package deal (plus a single for your 6.1) or piece together a nice little one yourself at real good prices. The TSS-1100 stands out at $499 with free shipping. Or the 450 @ $349 and the 5.0 Primus Theater Pack for $298.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
J&R is clearing out Acoustic Research. You could get a pair of ARVP600 floor-standing speakers ($150), ARXP62 bookshelf surrounds ($99), and ARXP242C center ($69). For the low end I'd pick up a Dayton 15" Sub kit from Parts Express ($294).

J&R often runs free-shipping deals so you may want to watch out for one of those, or call and order and try to negotiate something similar. With shipping it may be a bit over budget but should be well worth it for full-size speakers and a large powerful sub.

Jason=F

Grip
Thanks for the links, but if I'm going to stay with a 'satellite' system I think I'm going to go with the HSU system.

Jason=F

Grip
These look very tempting, have you heard these speakers? I'm going to do some searching to see if can find some reviews on them. If not maybe I'll look in to J&R's return policy.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You can return for a full refund of the purchase price but you'll be out shipping (both ways if you don't catch a free-shipping deal). You might want to try the bookshelfs first and see if you like the sound and then get the towers (or another set of bookshelfs) and the center.

I'd comfortably say the 15" Parts Express kit for $300 will have more output and likely more low-end extension than the STF-2, Bic 100, or any other sub in the $300 and under price range (outside of a pure DIY effort w/ large ported box, TC-1000 driver, and 300w Bash amp).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The new 15" kit from PE only claims -3dB of 25 Hz, which is pretty much the same as most other $300 subs. It WILL have more output than any other 10" or 12" though...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the listed 25hz F3 is Anechoic (sp?) or In-Room... if it's Anechoic you would likely get on down around 22hz In-Room...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Either way, that is -3dB, so depending on the roll of, it will move enough air to still get down to the lower 20s, but may or may not get down there with authority. I am not familiar with that amp (which has been carried by PE for a while), but it may also have subsonic filters to protect the driver below a certain frequency that would limit its bottom end too.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI: that Pioneer receiver has enough power to blow the living crap out of those HSU satellites if the volume knob is accidently spun too far, so beware. Anyway, for sats with 3" fullrange drivers I thought they sounded very good for movies, though for music their lack of a separate tweeter reduced detail quite a bit.

As for a sub with a good WAF, check out this thin-profile Cerwin-Vega VE-28S. J&R Music sells it.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
As has already been said, there isn't a whole lot within that range for a 5.1 system. I know it's a bit over your $600 budget but I suggest an Onix x-ls/x-cs package with the x-sub, this system goes for $776 plus shipping. I have a pair of x-ls speakers in my bedroom system and they are fantastic speakers for the money. In that price range, you won't find anything built better or finished as nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks