What's new

5ES won't let me select PLII sometimes, why? (1 Viewer)

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Once in a while my 5ES wont let me select PLII music or movie, when I go in the surround menu everything is grayed out. I have a signal going in and tried it with my CD player, tuner and satellite. This usually happens when I turn AFD on, but when I turn AFD off I still can't select PLII or NEO. I have had this problem before and was able to get PLII back once I switched modes but now that is not working. Any help would be appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Juan, I have found that this can be sometimes source related. When hbo is showing a movie DD2/0 I cannot switch to DPLII Music, only movie. I see this more with my optical source from sattelite and never from analog local tv. It happens rarely to me.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Juan,

I've never been locked out of picking DPL II (except when watching DTS movies). Can you be more specific as to what you are doing exactly?

Seth

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I am playing a CD from my CD player connected thru the optical connection, and before I could have it play in PLII music. The same with satellite, before I could set it for PLII movie but not last night. I don't think it is source driven because I get HDNET in DD 2.0 and in the past it would allow me to switch it to PLII movie. When I get home today I will keep messing with it.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Juan- Although I can't answer your question specifically, the operation you're trying to perform is "illegal" and not available or accessable on the DA4. When the function has been greyed out on the remote or maybe in your case, the OSD, you will have to look into all your set-up perimeters to see if you can figure out exactly what is going on. I have gone through this in years past and can't even remember the problem I was having or the solution I stumbled on to fix it. Time to break out the OM as incomplete as it may be, and at times try reading between the lines. The solution is there somewhere, so keep looking.Good luck and good hunting, Jack

Terry Watkins

Auditioning
I had this same problem with my 5ES. I think it's a bug in the receiver. I reset everything on mine to factory default and I've never had the problem again. The DPLII only works on sources that are not encoded in DD or DTS. Like, when I'm playing my Gamecube or watching a tv show, I can always set the receiver to Auto Format Decoding or Normal Surround and it always gives me the option.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Terry,

how did you reset the receiver? I guess I could read the manual when I get home and find out but I am a little inpatient.

SvenS

Second Unit
If the receiver is receiving a 1.0 signal it will not do DPL-II or DTS-Neo6. It requires at least 2.0 to operate.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I reset the receiver and I can now switch to PLII. What a pain, I lost all my EQ settings and will have to recalibrate all over again.

Terry Watkins

Auditioning
It's a Sony thing Juan......I never really tried to set DPLII until about 6 months after I had my 5ES.....Then I read on the forum, about reseting it. It worked, but I still find myself only using PLII on my Gamecube, which doesn't have DD, like my XBOX.....Hasn't happened again in the last couple months, so hopefully won't have to go back to factory settings again. Otherwise, I LOVE my 5ES....Wouldn't trade it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks