What's new

57HX81 en route! Need screen removal instructions! (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
I'm guessing I just remove the screen and replace with weather stripping? If so, what size? (width & thickness) Is getting the screen off pretty obvious?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I would do a restack and not remove the screen,just put it in the rear.

Gregg

Patrick G

Second Unit
I don't like the idea of restacking it. I mean, it does absolutely no good in there. Why have an additional screen impairing my display? I used weatherstripping on my TW40X81 and it worked great. Of course, if restacking is the preferred method because of possible screen bowing, or some other similar reason, I'll do it.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I'm pretty torn between the two techniques. On my 43" set at home, I used wheaterstripping, but when I do it for a customer, I normally restack unless specified otherwise. I'm haven't done any real A/B comparisons, but I sometimes can't get my mind around the idea of putting the shiny part on the inside of the TV! On a bigger set like the 57" though, I think 'screen sag' would be a concern.

Incidentally, balsa wood strips about the same thinkness as the screen protector works very well.

I forget to touch on the inital topic! It's a pretty straighforward job, with the only exception being the optical sensors for the Touch Focus system. These sensors come off with the mounting brackets though and there should be plenty of wire to put the brackets on the outside of the screen. If restacking, make sure you keep the screen protector facing in the same direction. If you reverse it, it'll stick to the fresnel leaving what will look like water spots.

Patrick G

Second Unit
And where would I get the 1/2" strips of 1/16" paneling? Is that something I'd have to have cut, or does 1/16" paneling come in 1/2" strips?

David Head

Second Unit
Nope, not my TV. I just saved the link when I came across it.

Yes, this example showed a screen removal. Instead of adding the paneling, you could move the anti-glare screen from the front to the back of the stack.

David

Patrick G

Second Unit
No, I think restacking it is pointless when you can purchase something like the paneling to offset any screen bowing. That screen only impairs the display quality. Any idea on my paneling question?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks