$500 AVR/DVD for Den system - Denon, Panny?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RickRichardson, Sep 9, 2004.

1. RickRichardson

RickRichardson Auditioning

The den (16 X 12) is going to have a Sony 50 Wega on one wall with shelves around it. I am probably going for the Onix Rocket ELT speakers and would like to get an AVR and DVD player for about $500 +/- .

I am thinking the Denon AVR 1604 plus the Denon DVD-910 or the Panasonic SA-XR50 and something like the Panasonic DVD-F87S? Any experience with these or suggestions for other choices? I would like to keep the same brand for both, based on matching style and easily compatible remotes. I would plan on using the AVR for switching video from the DVD and a SAT receiver.

2. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I have the Panny set-up you were asking about. The 50 and the F87 go very well together. Great sound and performance ragardless of the price.

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Rick hope your query has been answered.. cuz I'd like to ask Dorian a Q. hope u dont mind

Dorian, how is yr F87 connected to the XR50 for listening to audio CDs? i understand that digital coax/optical is best because then you'd maintain a digital path all the way, but don't you miss out on the HDCD decoding that way? is it better with HDCD i.e hdcd -> analog -> XR50? wonder if theres HDCD decoding on any digital amps...

4. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I wish I new for sure. I use a coax to connect them. I have not tried the analog multi channel inputs. I have wondered what the difference would be. I only have one HDCD right now and the player shows the "flag" but I am not sure there is a difference with the coax.