What's new

$500 and torn between 2 good systems. (1 Viewer)

MorganT

Auditioning
A Onkyo HT-S660 w/no dvd player for $399

or

A Sony HT-V1000DP w/ DVD Player for $499

With the onkyo, I will have to buy a sub $100 DVD player as well. Which is the better performer? I listened to both at Fry's, but they had some crappy Billy Joel demo and its really hard to sample a speaker's clarity and sound when it is showing someone playing live music. Also, you couldn't get Surrond Sound because of the way the speakers were setup.

Thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HTF, Morgan. FYI, the Basics area is intended as a section where newcomers may ask "What is an HTiB?" and other very essential questions. For specific model recommendations for HTiBs, post here in the A/V Sources section. Good luck. JB

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard both and the onkyo sounded better then the sony HTIB w/o the dvd combo player. I also don't like combo player either. The onkyo probably has one of the better bundled speakers in it price range.

I've seen a lot of people on here say to take your own cd and audition it. Just a thought... Personally I have never liked the way any Sony HTIB's have sounded. Good Luck!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Personally, I would opt for the Onkyo system. I don't have any problems with Sony since my brother has a Sony HTiB and it sounds pretty good, but the versatility that the Onkyo receiver has over the combo receiver/DVD player makes it more attractive, to me anyway. Buying a good DVD player would still keep you in your price range since they can be had for just around 100 bucks these days with a good many features included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks