What's new

5-speakers on $800 budget? (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I'm thinking of an upgrade and will have an $800 budget for the 5 speakers. I was thinking Paradigm minimonitors, CC-370, and maybe atoms for the rear if the package can be had for $800. What about some other brands that sell online? Can I get better value? Ex: $1200 MSRP for $800, or Paradigms $800 MSRP for $800?

Any other suggestions?

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at virtually the same Paradigm combo and in Canada they can be had for well within your budget. You might be able to find them locally too, I'm not sure. I've heard them and they are quite nice. There are, however, some other speakers to consider if you're willing to buy on-line(ie not listen to them first)
Axiom Audio makes some well reviewed speakers. You can order from their website www.axiomaudio.com or from Link Removed I have heard that both the Paradigms' and the Axioms' could be considered bright. Another way to go would be to get 5 Norh ceramic 4.0s for $850 shipped from www.norh.com. www.av-reality.com makes some nice speakers in your range or, if you want to try a DIY project you could order from www.gr-research.com
Look for reviews at www.audioreview.com and also at other forums such as www.hometheatertalk.com www.cheaphometheater.com and www.harmonicdiscord.com The Paradigms are great speakers and I think you'd be happy with them, but there are a lot of good speakers out there. I wish you the best of success in your search.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, you might want to look at Energy as well. You could get the following Energy package:

e:XL 16 bookshelf speaker for fronts and rears: $250-300/pair

e:XL-C2 center speaker: $350

Since you live in California, try Good Guys. They are an authorized Energy dealer. They may even cut you a deal if you buy all five speakers. I have the e:XL 16s and will be upgrading an e:XL-C to the e:XL-C2. The Energy e:XL series represents and excellent value.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I don't know how they compare to the Paradigm speakers but you ought to be able to get 5 NHT Super Ones for well under $800. No need for a special center speaker.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
You can get two pairs of Polk Audio's RT25i(199.95/pair)along with the matching CS245i(199.95/each) for center channel duty for a total of $600.00. Get it thru the Good Guys' website http://www.goodguys.com and you don't pay shipping or taxes.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
You could get B&W 303's also for about that price(maybe a little less. I heard them at a local dealer and they sound sweet. They were reviewed quite favorably in last months HT magazine. Good luck with whatever you end up with.:)

Joseph H

Auditioning
I recently purchased 5 speakers right around your budget that I am very happy with. They are from the Acoustic Research Hi-Res Series.

Fronts AR-11

Center AR-4C

Surrounds AR-17

After a month of use I continue to be impressed by the sound of these speakers. Check audioreview.com for more reviews. Joe

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'd get five B&W DM303s. They list for $150 each and, with the exception of the now discontinued NHT Super One, are the best budget mini-monitors I've heard. Five of them and a decent sub would be an a truly awesome system.

Gary Silverman

Stunt Coordinator
Norh Norh Norh. Check out their website. They have some holiday specials going on. Wish I was in the market for an upgrade.

John Gates

Second Unit
I'll third the suggestion for nOrh gear.

5 ceramic 4.0's for $850 shipped is *very* difficult to beat.

The Axiom M3Ti is also an awesome speaker for the price (just listened to a pair of these last night). They are seriously underpriced and overvalued. :)

In comparison, I found the 4.0's more refined and easier to listen to (more "musical"), and the Axioms were more forward in the highs and had clearly better bass response. If you're running a good sub, the 4.0's are a purchase you'd probably not regret.

John

Irens Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I would slo vote for 4 B&W DM303 and LC3 for center. I listened to these speakers and I'm saving money to upgrade my Take 5 :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
"The Axiom M3Ti is also an awesome speaker for the price. They are seriously underpriced and overvalued."

Here, here!!! Although I'm only using them in a surround application, I think they sound great considering the price.

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
You mentioned that you are upgrading. Have you considered spending the $800 on just the front three speakers and getting by with whatever you currently have as surrounds? You might be able to step up to the Paradigm Studio line with that approach.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Have you considered spending the $800 on just the front three speakers and getting by with whatever you currently have as surrounds? You might be able to step up to the Paradigm Studio line with that approach.
This is a very good idea, especially if you are looking long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks