What's new

5 new Fantasy SACD revies (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'll be posting some of my thoughts on the 5 new Fantasy SACDs which I've been anticipating for some time.

Thelonious Monk- Brilliant Corners
Oscar Peters & Stephan Grapelli- Skol
Amadeus- Soundtrack
Albert King- I'll Play the Blues For You
Big Star- SACD

Two of these, Amadeus and Monk, are titles I was familiar with. I've never heard this particular King album but know and have some of the tracks on various compilations and other titles. This Peterson title is new to me and I've never heard Big Star before.

What I've listened to so far:

Brilliant Corners
As a huge Monk fan I was thrilled to get the SACD. Musically it's one of Monk's most adventurous titles, especially the title track.
Sonically it's good, but not reference, which is pretty consistent with Fantasy's releases so far. It's better than the K-20 remaster from Prestige, which is my only reference for comparison.

Amadeus
Because of the high quality performances and success of the film, many consider these the defining performances of these Mozart compositions for our generation. They're certainly some of my favorite.
The sound is pretty sweet.

Big Star
I just listened to MP3s of the redbook layer, so no comments about sound yet. The music is catchy, simple, enjoyable. Some songs are better than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks